Glens Falls Car Rental Comparison: Hire top-quality cars for low prices.
Did you know that Glens Falls' name was given by Colonel Johannes Glen? While the falls referring to a large waterfall in the Hudson River located at the southern end of the city?
Best Way to travel: Bus, Train, Car
#1 Thing to do: Spa Studio at Union Square
#2 Thing to do: Hyde Collection
#3 Thing to do: Charles Wood Theater
Fun Fact: Glens Falls is also known as “Hometown U.S.A.” and “The Empire City”.
#1 Car Rental Company: Hertz
Top 5 Things to do in Glen Falls
Glens Falls gets its name from the Hudson River that runs along its southern border. It is one of the oldest cities in Warren County, New York. It was a Quaker village and was named Wing's fall after the Quaker leader, Abraham Wings. There are many stories regarding how the name was changed to Glens Falls. Some folklore say Colonel Johannes Glen won it in a card game or on collection of a debt. However, it is an interesting city to visit and there is plenty to see in it.
1. Visit a historical building: The Calvin Robin's Blacksmith Shop was built in 1815 and is perhaps the oldest buildings in the city. It survived a fire that ravaged most of the city.
2. See a Quaker Meeting house: Located on Ridge Street is the Quaker meeting house that was constructed in 1875. It has an Italianate edifice and is worth admiring the craftsmanship of the architecture and construction.
3. Revisit the Civil War: At the Civil War Monument, names of the soldiers who died in the civil war are listed, as are the battles that were fought in this war.
4. View the Hyde collection: To see paintings and sculptures by some of the renowned artists of the world, the Hyde Collection museum is worth visiting. It is housed in a 19th century house and there are paintings by artists like Rembrandt, Rubens, Picasso, and Van Gough, on display, to name just a few.
5. Witness a theatrical performance: The Charles R. Wood Theater is located in the heart of Glens Falls and is home to the Adirondack Theater Festival.