Hertz Terms & Conditions
The below T&Cs (including prices and taxes) are provided by Hertz and may change without notice to VroomVroomVroom.com.
This quote includes:
- all taxes, airport taxes and surcharges if applicable,
- Stated mileage amount (generally unlimited, see below for extra mileage charges)
- Vehicle Registration fee,
- One way fees if applicable,
- All vehicle fees related to the booking e.g. Vehicle drop fees, all recovery fees, premium location fees, corporate location fees wherever applicable.
This quote will not include:
- Insurance (See next paragraph*)
- Child seats or booster seats (can be purchased after confirmation for generally $11.99 US per day plus local tax and surcharges).
- Extra miles (if your rental has limited mileage, each additional mile over the limit will be charged at $0.25).
- The charge for drivers between 21-24 can be anywhere between $15.00 - $25.00 per day and may be subjected to tax and surcharges.
- Any extras signed up for upon arrival, e.g. vehicle snow equipment GPS.
- All extras and additional services will attract additional local percentage taxes and surcharges. Prices below are exclusive of these as they vary state to state.
* Important information about car rental insurance
For US citizens
Some US credit cards and personal car insurance policies do provide car rental insurance so please check with your credit card provider and personal auto insurance policy for details.
Visiting the US from another country
It is illegal to drive in the US without car insurance. Your travel insurance probably only covers the excess so check the fine print in your travel insurance policy.
For more information please see our U.S. car rental insurance guide.
See below for more Hertz Terms and Conditions
OR see Hertz for further details
All extras and additional services will attract additional local percentage taxes and surcharges. Prices below are exclusive of these as they vary state to state.
On most retail rentals at corporate locations and participating licensee locations in the US, the minimum age is 25 without an additional Age Differential Charge, and 20 with an additional Age Differential Charge.
Payment Policy - Credit Card
Payment Policy - Debit Cards
Insurance Coverage Options offered by Hertz
Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)
In most states, in the event of any other loss or damage to the car, regardless of fault, your financial responsibility extends to the full value of the car at the time of rental, less its salvage value, plus expenses for towing, storage impound fees, an administrative fee and a reasonable charge for loss of use. If your responsibility differs in the state in which you rent, it will be stated in Paragraph 4, of the Rental Agreement. In California, in the event of any loss or damage to the car regardless of fault, your financial responsibility will in no event exceed the fair market value, plus actual charges for towing, storage, impound fees, and an administrative fee. In California and Nevada, your responsibility for loss or damage to the car from vandalism unrelated to theft will not exceed USD 500.00 and you are not responsible for theft, regardless of purchasing LDW, unless the theft results from your fault. In Illinois, your responsibility for loss or damage for any cause other than theft is limited to USD 15,500.00. Loss or damage related to theft is limited to USD 2,000.00, unless the theft results from your fault. In New York, your financial responsibility shall not exceed (i) the actual and reasonable costs that Hertz incurs to repair the car, including costs for towing, storage and impound fees or that Hertz would have incurred if the car was repaired or (ii) the fair market value of the car immediately before the damages occurred, as determined by the applicable market for the retail sale of the car less disposal proceeds. Your responsibility for theft of the car shall not exceed the reasonable costs incurred by Hertz for loss due to theft up to its fair market value, if it is established that you or any authorized operator failed to exercise reasonable care or aided or abetted in the theft.
- However Hertz offers Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) an optional service, which for an additional daily charge relieves you of all financial responsibility for the loss or damage to the rental car, whether or not you have insurance to cover suchdamage, provided the car is used in accordance with the terms of the Rental Agreement.
- The cost of LDW may vary depending on location or car type and is charged per each full or partial day of rental.
Personal Accident Insurance (PAI)
Personal Accident Insurance (PAI), offered in combination with PEC, allows you to elect accidental death and accidental medical expense coverage for yourself and your passengers during the rental period of the vehicle.
|Benefit Schedule||Renter||Each Passenger|
|Accidental Death||USD 175,000.00||USD 17,500.00|
|Accidental Medical Expenses|
|not to exceed (except NY):||USD 2,500.00||USD 2,500.00|
|New York only:||USD 3,500.00||USD 3,500.00|
|not to exceed (except NY):||USD 250.00||USD 250.00|
|New York only:||USD 150.00||USD 150.00|
Total benefits for any one accident are limited to USD 225,000.00 and are payable in addition to any other coverage for which you or your passengers are eligible. However, your benefits provided by other coverage may be affected by the PAI benefits. Rentals originating in the State of Mississippi do not have a single accident limit of USD 225,000.00.
If this coverage is accepted, the benefits for you apply to all accidental injuries during your rental period, regardless of whether you are actually in the car. Your passengers are also covered, but only for incidents occurring while they occupy the Hertz rental car.
Personal Effects Coverage (PEC)
Personal Effects Coverage (PEC), offered in combination with PAI, is an option that insures against risk of loss or damage to help protect your personal belongings while renting from Hertz. By electing PEC you will be insured throughout the entire rental period. PEC is insurance protection and pays in addition to any other policy you may have (such as a Homeowner's policy). However, your benefits provided by other coverage may be affected by the PEC benefit. PEC insurance coverage includes those personal effects owned by you and those members of your immediate family traveling with you during the rental period who are permanent residents of your household. PEC does not extend to non-family members traveling with you.
The maximum coverage per person is USD 600.00 with the maximum coverage for all claims during any rental limited to USD 1800.00, no deductible (Exception In New York, maximum coverage is USD 500.00 per person with a maximum coverage for all claims during any rental limited to USD 1,500.00).