Our new CarHire App is now available on iOS devices.
Be one of the first to download the App today!App Store
Our new VroomVroomVroom App is now available on iOS devices.
Be one of the first to download the App today!App Store

Driving across the U.S.-Canadian border... what do you need to know!

The Do's and Don'ts of crossing the US-Mexico border

So you have the tough border control questions; well, we have the simple answers here at VroomVroomVroom. We all know how traveling can be more demanding of our time then we plan to. That is why we are inviting you to view our quickest answers to your questions, and this in turn will allow you to VROOM right on through the border well prepared.

So sit back and VroomVroomVroom will show the way!
Customs and Border protection has treaties with Canada in order to prevent the import/export of cars. In order to enforce these treaties officers will ask for the proper documentation that will be provided to you with your car rental agreement. (i.e. Budget, Avis, Hertz)
This document must be carried with you at all times. Below is a link that may assist you with further questioning on this matter. http://www.cbp.gov

All personnel traveling in and out of Canada must follow the restrictions that are determined by the Canadian Border Services (CBSA) officials in accordance with Canadian law. See; http://www.cbsa.gc.ca for further up to date details . These are the acceptable documents as of
January 31, 2008:

  • U.S. or Canadian Passport
  • U.S. Passport Card
  • Trusted Traveler Card ( NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)*
  • State or Provincial Issued Enhanced Driver's License
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards
  • U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Document
  • Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
  • Form I-872 American Indian Card
  • Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) Card
  • Car rental documentation
  • Also you may check out http://travel.state.gov, for your specific Destination Country Requirements!
In accordance with traveling with your pets such as a cat or dog, it is mandatory to provide proper documentation from your licensed veterinarian stating that they have had rabies vaccination in the past 36 months. This rule applies both when entering or exiting the border. (The only EXCEPTION is allowing a seeing eye dog to enter without any question.)

Since the currency can change at any given time, it is best to check out this site for the most updated information.  http://www.oanda.com/ 

This site will better assist you with the exact rates. You may also try to get the rates at a community bank within an hour of the border. Note: The main difference between Canada and the U.S. would be the tax rate.

When traveling with children it is important to remember that parents must be accompanying their children in the same vehicle when arriving at the border. Also if parents share joint custody of the children it is very important to carry with them at all times the legal custody documents. It is also recommended that a letter of authorization from the other custodial parent be present indicating the approval of taking the child out of the country. This document should indicate the parent's full-name, address and telephone number. With this adults who are not parents or guardians must have permission to supervise the children. Again such a letter indicating the information such as name, phone number, and address will confirm that the child is not being abducted and/or taken against his/her will.

Live Help: Now Closing0
Bye for now, if you need me please click Live Help/Chat link under HELP/FAQs menu on the top