Amarillo Car Rental Comparison
Did you know that Amarillo was once a self-proclaimed “Helium Capital of the World” because they have one of the country's most productive helium fields?
Best Way to Travel: Train or Car
#1 Thing to do: Don Harrington Discovery Center
#2 Thing to do: Cadillac Ranch
#3 Thing to do: Amarillo Zoo
Fun Fact: The city operates one of the largest meat packing areas in the United States
#1 Car Rental Company: Enterprise
5 Things You Must Do in Amarillo
Amarillo derives it name probably from the yellow wildflowers that grew near the city. Established in 1887, the city was famous for its meat packing industry and helium industry. Located near the famous Route 66, the city offers many natural places of interest.
1. Alibates Flint Quarry National Park: The only national monument of Texas, this prehistoric park was quarried for the flints used for making sharp tools and instruments. Located just north of Amarillo, the monument offers tour programs through out the year but by appointment only.
2. Hike in the Caprock Canyons State Park and Trail ways: This is the third largest state park of Texas and lies in the southeast of Amarillo. It is a great place to hike, bike or go on an equestrian trail. The entrance fee is $3 per person over 13.
3. Visit the unusual Cadillac Ranch: Supported by millionaire Stanley Marsh III, this art installation and ranch is in private property but can be accessed easily. Visitors are welcomed to spray paint or write graffiti on the Cadillac!
4. Visit the museum American Quarter Horse Association: The American Quarter Horse Association have their headquarters here in Amarillo which also has a museum attached to it.
5. Visit the Don Harrington Discovery Center: This science museum aims to teach children science through interactive exhibits and planetarium. Outside the museum is the Helium Monument, a tribute to the city that was “Helium Capitol of the World”.