Ankeny is located in Polk County, Iowa. Founded in 1875, Ankeny developed around mining facilities and started growing rapidly after the discovery of gold in 1992. Currently, Ankeny has a population of over 45,500 people, which is continually raising due to the many local business and employment opportunities.
Main Attractions within Ankeny
Ankeny Art Center,founded by the Ankeny Friends of the Arts, is the largest cultural establishment in the area. It is designed to fulfill all possible artistic queries and to exhibit many forms of visual arts. Here people can admire changing exhibitions of paintings and sculptures from local and national artists. The art center promotes community values and is set to bring culture to the attention of everyone. Special facilities offered here include guided tours, the possibility of entering personal work in exhibitions and theme classes for school education groups.
Santa's North Pole Village is a festival that recreates Santa's factory right here in Ankeny. Every year, before Christmas and during it, the local arts center opens a craft market, with workshops to design your own gifts and selling points. It is the most famous Christmas festival in Iowa. For local craftsmen this is a chance to show off their merchandise and make good sales for gifts. This is a good opportunity for children as well, to learn how to be crafted and handy when it comes to building and reproducing certain items related to Christmas.
The Otter Creek Golf Course offers people living in or visiting Ankeny the possibility to enjoy one of the most appreciated sports around. The vast playing ground attracts numerous groups, especially at the weekend and during holidays. It is the perfect opportunity to spend some time with your family and friends, while having fun outside. The vast natural estate has several courses, a restaurant and a bar, where people can relax and eat. Training lessons for beginners are available for booking and professional players can purchase high quality equipment from the local shop.
Ankeny is the best place to spend your vacations and enjoy lots of fun activities outside, learn more about arts and take part in special Christmas celebrations.
Ankeny in Iowa was founded by John Fletcher Ankeny in 1874. The city was used for ammunition manufacturing during WWII, but the major industries now are big retailers like Wal Mart, Home Depot, and SuperTarget.
1. Spend a day in the Horizon Park: This 5.4 Acres Park has a native prairie, trail shelter and pond. The place is ideal for picnic, and has many Eagle Scout Projects like bluebirds houses.
2. Make a splash in the Prairie Ridge Family Aquatic Center: Spend a warm day cooling off in this aquatic center and the adjoining Splash Park. There are interactive fountains, geysers, below ground jet sprays and much more. The admission fee is $5 for non residential and $2 less for residents.
3. Skate at the Ankeny Skate Park: This newly constructed skate park is adjacent to the aquatic center. There is skating facilities for people of all ages and skills. The area is 9.000 square feet and has a diameter bowl, quarter pipes, grinding rails, pyramids and many other features.
4. Play a round of Golf in Otter Creek: Play in this 25 year old Golf Course that is just fifteen minutes from Des Moines, Ankeny. Major renovation plan has been drawn for this golf course.
5. Hike along the Ankeny Trails: The Prairie Trails are a great way to see the beautiful greenways, ponds and open spaces that lie along the trials. There is active and passive play area and ponds for fishing along the trails.
|Unfortunately we do not have search enabled at Ankeny. |
Please try one of the following nearby locations:
|Book At||Miles/km to Ankeny||Directions to Ankeny||Latitude||Longitude|
|West Des Moines||13/21||Directions||41.57199||-93.74531|
|*Distance is calculated aerial. Actual will be different.|