Anniston Car Rental Comparison
Anniston is a beautiful city located in the state of Alabama, U.S., and it is the seat county of Calhoun County, at the same time. Situated on the side of Blue Mountain, Anniston is a great city, which offers its tourists and residents many possibilities. Anniston was established in 1872, and it has known a great expansion since then. Now, Anniston is home to nearly 24.000 residents, according to the 2005 census.
Throughout the years, many important people have visited Anniston. One of them is Henry W. Grady, a newspaperman who was so pleased and surprised with the way in which Anniston was managed, that he called it 'The Model City'. Anniston is also renown for the great preservation of historic places, which throughout the years have been upgraded and refurbished.
Top Attractions within Anniston
The Anniston Museum of Natural History was established in 1976, and it has become very popular ever since. The museum is home to more than 2000 items of natural history, like fossils and minerals. Some rare animals are also displayed here, making the museum one of the best facilities of the kind.
The Berman Museum of World History is a wonderful cultural institution, where visitors get the chance to find out more information on the history and traditions of the place. The museum displays a wide array of items, from all the historical periods of America. You can also find here a shop, where you can buy gifts and souvenirs for the people back home.
Church of St. Michael and All Angels is an episcopal church of an impressive beauty. The building is one of the oldest ones in Anniston, and it is surrounded by beautiful green spaces and trees.
The Community Actors Studio Theatre is one of the most creative institutions in Anniston. Here, all the residents who think that have a talent for acting can gather and participate in great performances, including plays, musicals and dance recitals.
The World's Largest Chair is an impressive monument that you can find in Anniston. The chair is literally the largest in the world, as designated by the Guinness Book of World Records.
5 Things You Must Do in Anniston
Named as Annie's town, this city started as an iron and steel city but is now a major army depot. The city is also famous as a health resort and has many old Victorian style houses.
1. Visit the Anniston Museum of Natural History: established in 1930, this nationally accredited museum houses exhibits from wild Africa to Ancient Egypt. There is also a room dedicated to the history of Alabama and one to birds of America. There is also a nature trial and a gift shop.
2. See old artifacts in Berman Museum of World history: See 8000 artifacts collected from all over the world in this museum. The artifacts include Oil paintings, modern and ancient weapons, photos, clothing and hands on displays.
3. See the Mountain Longleaf National wildlife Refuge: Located in the former military training grounds in Fort McClellan, the refuge is the last place for the remaining old growth stands and the best remaining pine forest in the southeast. Hunting, observing birds and study of natural beauty are some of the things that can make your stay in this land worthy.
4. See the Temple Beth El: See this oldest and still used place of worship for the Jewish community in Anniston. Dedicated in 1893, this place of worship was built through tireless hard work of the women of the Jewish community in Anniston.
5. Shop in Noble Street: After being in neglect for long, Noble Street has emerged as the premier place for shopping and dinning in Anniston.