Appleton is a special town having its location not in one, but in three different counties from Wisconsin in the United States of America. Appleton is situated on the Fox River in Outagamie, Calumet and Winnebago and it is the county seat of Outagamie County. Appleton was first inhabited by European fur traders. One of them, named Hippolyte Grignon built a house named White Heron in 1835 for his family and in 1847 Appleton was settled. It was already 1853 when Appleton received the status of a village.
The first hydro-electro central station in America was settled here in 1883, more exactly on September 30 and on Vulcan Plant Street. Notable Appleton residents include John Bradley, one of the men who raised the flags at Iwo Jima, Willem Dafoe - actor, Harry Houdini - the famous magician and the president of Campbell Soup Company - William Beverly Murphy.
Hearstone House is a historic house, built in 1881, famous for being the first residence in the entire world using power on the Edison system. By that time, in that house lived an entrepreneur named Henry James Rogers. The house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1974 and is now home to a museum.
The Historic Museum at the Castle is the local history museum from Appleton and is located near College Avenue of the Lawrence University. The museum is a former masonic temple and the building also made it to the list of the National Register of Historic Places. The previous names of the museum were The Outagamle Museum and The Houdini Historic Center.
The Paper Discovery Center is also a museum focused on paper making because Appleton has its economy relying on this industry. The tourist programs include a tour and hands-on experience.
1. Visit the Hearthstone Historic House Museum: See the house that was the first residential house to be electrified. Now a museum, tours are given from Tuesday to Saturday. The original Thomas Edison light fixtures and period electrifiers are still preserved and used in the house.
2. See the magic of Houdini: Houdini Museum houses memorabilia and stage props of the famous magician Houdini. The museum also houses exhibits to show the town's history.
3. Take the Kids to Fox Cities Children Museum: A must visit for children, this recently renovated children museum have enough playthings to keep the children (and the child in you) for hours.
4. Walk through the Plamann Park: Another great place to go with children, this beautiful 4 miles hilly wooded area is good for skiing. In summer go for picnics and petting zoo of small animals like llama, rabbits and more.
5. Have a great game of tag in the Laser Quest: Like a game of tag or Hide-and-seek? Then try laser Quest for playing the game with a new twist. Using state-of-the-art laser tag equipments play the game in a multi level arena among great sound, light and fog effect.
|Unfortunately we do not have search enabled at Appleton. |
Please try one of the following nearby locations:
|Book At||Miles/km to Appleton||Directions to Appleton||Latitude||Longitude|
|*Distance is calculated aerial. Actual will be different.|