Best way to travel: Car or Bicycle
#1 thing to do: The Globe
#2 thing to do: State Botanical Garden of Georgia
#3 thing to do: Downtown Athens
Fun Fact: With cotton mills fueling the industrial and commercial development. Athens became known as the "Manchester of the South" after the city in England known for its mills.
# Car Rental Company: Hertz, Enterprise
It's the one in Georgia, not the one in Greece, though that of course is worth a visit too.
1. State Botanical Garden- At South Milledge Avenue, just outside city limits, is the State Botanical Garden of Georgia, a must for all plant enthusiasts. Work began there in 1970 with the laying out of three miles of trails and it has been getting better ever since. Now the 313 acre garden is a living laboratory for students as well as a delight to visitors. There are classrooms, tea rooms and diverse landscape an d flora. The International Garden concentrates on the relationship between plants and civilization, but this makes up only a tiny part of this Georgia gem.
2. Chamber of Commerce- At the Chamber of Commerce you can pick up details of a self guided walking tour of the town so that you don't miss anything.
3. Seek out the works of local artist Dennis Harper with their combination of calm and the supernatural. His art travels far, but there must be some still to be found in Athens.
4. Sandy Creek Nature Center- On Old Commerce Rd you will find the Sandy Creek Nature Centre complete with 'green' buildings set in 225 acres of natural landscape. There are interactive exhibits an detaching space and even a loggerhead turtle. There is a three mile paved way to the campus of the University of Georgia. The site includes marsh, beaver swamp, floodplain and bottom land, each of which is a unique habitat to be studied and explored.
5. #1 College Music Scene!- Rolling Stone Magazine described Athens as the #1college music scene in America so late into the night there is usually something going on. Get a copy of the free Flagpole magazine to find out what is happening during your visit.