Carrollton is a city in Texas and a suburb of Dallas. In 1842 William and Mary Larner settled the area. The city has been selected as the 19th best place to live in the United States by Money magazine.
Did you know that Carrollton was named after Carrollton, Illinois, the original home of the first American settlers in the area?
Best way to travel: Car
#1 thing to do: Indian Creek Ranch Park
#2 thing to do: Elm Fork Nature Preserve
#3 thing to do: Sandy Lake Amusement Park
Fun Fact: Noah Ringer, a Taekwondo champion and The Last Airbender actor is from Carrollton.
#1 Car Rental Company: Enterprise
1. A.W. Perry Homestead Museum: This is a very interesting museum that is surrounded by a park. Pearl Perry Gravlery donated it in 1975. Previously, it was a home built in 1857 by the area's earliest settler, Mr. Perry. One can catch a wonderful glimpse of life in the early 20th century complete with a smokehouse, a root cellar, and a gas light plant.
2. Sandy Lake Amusement Park: This amusement park is a family and group entertainment park. Inside this 100-acre park, one will find pony rides for the kids, swimming facilities, a miniature golf course, and paddleboats along with other boating facilities.
3. The Sixth Floor Museum: The museum is located on the sixth floor of the Texas School Depository building in Dallas. The museum provides information on the assassination of President John .F. Kennedy.
4. Old Downtown Carrollton: The spirit of the historic square and city can be captured in old downtown Carrollton. It was in this exact location that the town was established in the 1800's. Also, one can visit a wide variety of shops. Antiques, art, and many other items draw visitors here from many places.
5. Dallas Arboretum: The Arboretum features colorful gardens, which are on display throughout the year. It has amazing scenery and a great view of White Rock Lake. The Artscape is an art fair featuring art booths for people to walk through. Items such as jewelry, painting, sculpture are displayed. One can also visit the gift shop or take a horse drawn carriage ride.