Cedar Falls is a city in Black Hawk County, Iowa, United States. With a population of 39,260 people, Cedar Falls also includes three public universities. It was founded in 1845 by William Sturgis and although in the past Cedar Falls was an industrial and milling center, nowadays is a developed spot, perfect for spending a vacation here.
The city of Cedar Falls is in the Black Hawk County of Iowa. The University of Northern Iowa is also in this city. William Sturgis founded the city in 1845 which was originally named Sturgis Falls after him. The city later took on the name Cedar Falls because of the Cedar River that flows nearby the town.
1. Tour University of Northern Iowa: This University, located in the city, was established in the year 1876 and is one of the three public universities in Iowa. Today the university offers courses in Humanities, Natural Sciences, Business Administration, Fine Arts and much more.
2. Visit the Grout Museum of History and Science: The museum is on South Street in Waterloo and has grown from a personal collection to a large collection of artifacts. Besides the 2000 personal exhibits, this museum today houses rotating displays and the Grout Planetarium.
3. Visit the Paramount Theater: The theatre lies on third avenue in Cedar Rapids and is of 1920's construction. This theater is one of the 300 cinemas stills standing that recreates the 1920's era. Visitors can find more than 170 events throughout the year.
4. Tour Usher's Ferry Historic Village: This village is in Cedar Rapids and is a wonderful place to experience the calm life that existed hundred years ago. Visitors here are not only visitors, but become one of the characters themselves in the tour.
5. Visit Czech Village: This village, which is in Cedar Rapids, is an ideal place to acquaint oneself with the many immigrants of the area. Located on Sixteenth Avenue, this village was a favorite place for immigrants to shop. Visitors can truly find the bygone days with its many shops and market.
The Cedar Falls Art and Culture Board was founded in 1986 and since then continued to house local art and cultural events that give to people who visit this attraction, the opportunity to learn more about this place, its culture and its artists. It is also useful for your kids, too, as it offers them more information, enriching their knowledge.
The Cedar Falls Public Library is also located in Cedar Falls and is a giant building with 47,000 square feet, including 2,176 audio recordings, 253 periodicals and 2, 292 video. One of the main purpose of this library is to promote literacy, so it is another cultural attraction.
The Ice House Museum is a unique attraction, perfect for relaxation and entertainment. Such a great attraction cannot be omitted.
The Carriage House Museum exhibits many rotating items of Cedar Falls Historical Society. The building houses archives, a library, a collection storage, many galleries, business records, photographies, as well as historical records.Take a close up view of these exhibits and lean more about the history of this place and about its evolution.
College Square Mall is a commercial area, perfect for going shopping and it is located at 6301 University Avenue, Cedar Falls. The mall includes restaurants, many shops, special boutiques and service providers.The mall offers many types of items, so in case you need something, you will surely find here.
The Falls Aquatic Center is situated in Cedar Falls and encompasses concessions, interesting shade structures, lounge chairs, many pools and will be one of the favorite attractions of your family.