Clovis is a great city in the state of New Mexico, located more exactly in Curry County, and being the county seat at the same time. Clovis is renown for being an agricultural town, but also for its role in the early history of rock music. The history of Clovis New Mexico goes back to 1906. Then, the city was incorporated in 1909. Since then, the city developed hugely, and now there are 37.775 people living in Clovis New Mexico, according to the 2010 census. Nevertheless, Clovis New Mexico is also an important part of the Clovis - Portales Combined Statistical Area, so the tourism industry is blossoming, as well. People come to Clovis New Mexico to enjoy the numerous cultural and leisure possibilities, but also to relax and visit the attractions.
Top Attractions within Clovis New Mexico
The Norman and Vi Petty Rock & Roll Museum is one of the most unique museums you will ever get the chance to see. So do not miss out on visiting it, because you will find out everything about the process of recording and running a recording studio. You will also find here numerous artifacts, including photos, musical instruments and radio collections.
The Hillcrest Park and Zoo is the place that everyone will love. This fun filled facility will enchant you with the large number of species that it holds, but also with the great features that it offers. Besides admiring the beautiful sights, you will also be able to play basketball and to picnic. Children will be provided with playing equipment, so they will have fun all day long.
The Clovis Depot Model Trail Museum is, as the name may suggest, a beautiful historic site, where you will be able to admire numerous railroad artifacts. The museum dates back to 1907, and it will also teach you interesting facts about the history of Clovis New Mexico.
Clovis is situated in the Llano Estacada and eastern New Mexico regions, in Curry County, New Mexico. The city of Clovis is an agricultural city but at the same time is also known for its rock music. The Canon Air Force Base, situated in the vicinity of Clovis, has a strong influence on the city. The religion of the local community is Protestant Christianity. The population living in Clovis enjoys a relatively humid climate of hot summers and cool winters without extremes in temperature.
1. The Canon Air Force Base: Known as the 27th Special Operation Wing, the main focus of the Canon Air Force Base is on exfiltration, infiltration and re-supply of operations. These capabilities give support to activities such as unconventional welfare, personal recovery, counter-terrorism, information operations and psychological operations.
2. Eastern New Mexico University: This is the most modern university in the area, with a main campus situated in Portales and two branches located at Ruidoso and Roswell.
3. Hillcrest Park Zoo: The zoo encloses forestry features. It is enriched with trees, pools, animals, streams and many natural features. Visitors will enjoy the rare species of animals in this zoo.
4. Whispering Winds Golf Course: This golf course has 18 holes. It consists of a huge greenland which is maintained to the fullest extent.
5. Norman Petty Studio: The Clovis sound has been popularized by Buddy Holly and Roy Orbison. It was created at Norman Petty 7th Street studio, which has an old rock 'n' roll music theme.