Davenport is a charming city located along the Mississippi River in Scott Scounty, Iowa. As of the 2010 census, the population of Davenport reached 99.685, making it the third largest city in the state of Iowa. Located approximately halfway between Chicago and Des Moines, Davenport is on the border of Iowa and Illinois. There are several annual music festivals that take place here, including the Mississippi Valley Blues Festival, The Mississippi Valley Fair, and the Memorial Jazz Festival. Davenport is a great holiday destination, where you and your family or friends can enjoy a relaxing time out from the hustle and bustle of the big city.
Top Attractions Within Davenport
Figge Art Museum is the premier art exhibition and education facility in Davenport. The expansive galleries and intimate rooms are home to some of the Midwest's finest art collections. Studio-style classrooms allow young and old to participate in the creative process. The Museum collection includes more than 3500 paintings, sculptures and works on paper from the 16th century to the present. It is a great place to learn more things about the history of Davenport and in the same time spend a quiet afternoon.
Mississippi Valley Fair. In summertime, the fairgrounds are host to six days and nights of action packed games, rides, concerts and other entertainment. Far from its humble beginnings in the earely 1900s it has grown from a small county fair into a grand regional event, attracting more than 300.000 people during fair week and over 600.000 people annually making it one of the largest fairs in Iowa. During the Davenport Valley Fair there are bingo, car shows, concerts, flea markets, gun shows and mixed marshall arts fights.
River Music Experience is a project conceptualized to build on the reputation of the city as a hub for regional musical festivals and honor its musical heritage with a permanent, national tribute to American Roots music. You have the opportunity to learn more interesting facts about the musical history of Davenport, and in the same time, you are able to experience for yourself the use of musical instruments.
Top 5 Things to Do in Davenport
Davenport is a city in the Iowa state that borders the Mississippi River. Also known as Iowa's 'front porch', it is the hub of the metropolitan Quad-cities. Davenport is a city proud of its distinctive legacy at the crossroads of America. It is the only place where the Mississippi flows from east to west. Davenport holds a unique reputation for entertainment.
1. Happy Joe's Jungle Bungle: Visit the 'Taj Mahal' of jungle gyms! It is a perfect place for children's entertainment with many themed facility rentals and a pizza parlor. You will also get to play cool arcade games!
2. Wacky Waters Adventure Park: Take an adventure trip to this theme park which has a lot of rides like the pirate ship, water slides, bumper boats and go-carts. There is also a wave pool and a miniature golf course. 'Wacky Waters' is the best place to have a lot of fun at a nominal rate.
3. IMAX Theater: When visiting Davenport make sure to watch a movie in the world's largest and giant screen theater. Experience the crystal clear, razor sharp, rock steady picture quality and the best sound system. The screen is huge; almost five stories high and seven stories wide. There are more than 270 stadium style seats. You can find out the ticket pricing on the official IMAX website.
4. Miller Time Bowling: Looking for something fun to do with your family or friends? Then do not miss this bowling experience that offers automatic scoring and 'Nite Lite Bowling' a bar, lounge and dance floor for couples. There is also a games room and three banquet rooms.
5. Great Mississippi Valley Fair: If you are visiting the city in time of this event, make sure to be a part of this lively and fun filled dissipation. It is basically a county fair which has a lot to offer from concerts to carnival rides and diving shows. Not to mention all the food vendors with a flare for flavor; the heavenly smell of bacon and chops will lure you towards it.