Download the FREE VroomVroomVroom App
Decatur Car Rental Comparison
Decatur is a city in the state of Georgia, with a population of 19.335 residents according to the 2010 census. Decatur Georgia is actually an intown suburb of Atlanta and part of the Atlanta Metropolitan Area. Decatur Georgia is founded at the intersection of two Native American trails: the Sandtown which led east from the Chattahoochee River. The town was named for naval hero Stephen Decatur. Over the past twenty years, Decatur has gained a local and national reputation as a progressive city with a high level of citizen involvement that retains a small town feel despite its proximity to Atlanta. Decatur Georgia is a wonderful holiday destination, where you can relax and have a good time away from the hustle and bustle of the big city.
Top Attractions Within Decatur, Georgia
Twain's Billiards and Tap. This is a great place for tourists to have fun with the family and friends. The venue is a full service brewpub, restaurant, and poolhall located in downtown Decatur Georgia. Twain's also hosts parties, with great beer, food and games galore. All the necessary ingredients for big time fun for family and friends.
The DeKal History Center is an organization dedicated to collecting, preserving and sharing the rich history of Decatur Georgia. The DHC is a non profit organization relying on contributions from individuals, corporations and foundations. The center also holds a museum and archives and welcomes visitors and researchers. The history center also maintains three antebellum structures located on West Trinity Place in Decatur Georgia.
MudFire Decatur Georgia Pottert Center. MudFire is a pottery school. There are playgorunds for both children and adults. It is a wonderful place where you can forget about all the problems and relax by taking one of the pottery classes. Tourists cand enjoy a one-on-one instruction. The staff is always on hand for an in-depth lesson. There are personal trainers that are ready to help you at any time with personalized instruction.
Top 5 Things to Do in Decatur
Decatur is the county seat of, DeKalb County, Georgia. It is a small town with a population of only 18,147 people according to the year 2000 census.
1. Roller skate at a traditional rink: For roller skating fun in a traditional roller skating rink, glide on to a traditional roller rink at the Golden Glide Roller Skating Rink. The hardwood rink along with its overhead party lights evokes the flavor of simpler times, and helpful coaches stand prepared to assist you with your techniques.
2. Admire contemporary art: The Vinson Gallery is a stunning modern showroom that brings the best of original contemporary artwork by emerging and established European and American artists to Georgia. The gallery is situated in the Lenz Building just across the courthouse.
3. Participate in an art festival: The owners of “That Pottery Place” dare you to come on out to Decatur and 'party like Picasso'. Presenting a complete line of appealing pieces for your painting pleasure, this amusing spot just east of town hosts nightly art festivals for those with a flair for the brush.
4. Browse in a Negro sports hut: The Negro League Sports Hut in Decatur stands as a testimony to a significant part of sports history that is often ignored. The shop carries all sorts of Negro League paraphernalia, mementos, and souvenirs. Also available are jackets, baseball cards, hats, t-shirts, books and much more.
5. Pay a visit to an art gallery: The Dalton Galleries feature diverse thematic group exhibitions of contemporary works by local, national, and international artists. Special programs and exhibits are offered regularly, and are always open to the public.
United States, Georgia, United States
Other locations near Decatur