Decatur is the county seat of, DeKalb County, Georgia. It is a small town with a population of only 18,147 people according to the year 2000 census.
1. Roller skate at a traditional rink: For roller skating fun in a traditional roller skating rink, glide on to a traditional roller rink at the Golden Glide Roller Skating Rink. The hardwood rink along with its overhead party lights evokes the flavor of simpler times, and helpful coaches stand prepared to assist you with your techniques.
2. Admire contemporary art: The Vinson Gallery is a stunning modern showroom that brings the best of original contemporary artwork by emerging and established European and American artists to Georgia. The gallery is situated in the Lenz Building just across the courthouse.
3. Participate in an art festival: The owners of “That Pottery Place” dare you to come on out to Decatur and 'party like Picasso'. Presenting a complete line of appealing pieces for your painting pleasure, this amusing spot just east of town hosts nightly art festivals for those with a flair for the brush.
4. Browse in a Negro sports hut: The Negro League Sports Hut in Decatur stands as a testimony to a significant part of sports history that is often ignored. The shop carries all sorts of Negro League paraphernalia, mementos, and souvenirs. Also available are jackets, baseball cards, hats, t-shirts, books and much more.
5. Pay a visit to an art gallery: The Dalton Galleries feature diverse thematic group exhibitions of contemporary works by local, national, and international artists. Special programs and exhibits are offered regularly, and are always open to the public.