Des Plaines is a relatively small city in Cook County, Illinois, in the United States of America. Des Plaines has a population of about 60.000 people and an area of 14 square miles and is also known as the City of Destiny. Des Plaines is a suburb of Chicago and bases its economy on a few large companies – UOP, Holy Family Medical Center, Oakton Community College, Sysco, Juno Lightning and Wheels. If you plan to visit Chicago, at least a short trip to Des Plaines is mandatory, the little suburb having its own charm and beautiful places that should be seen.
Top Attractions within Des Plaines
McDonald's Museum is a reconstruction of the first McDonald's restaurant that was built in the franchise by Ray Kroc, the man that joined McDonald's and developed the business into a franchise. If you are a fast food fan, there is no better place to find out interesting things and useful information about this type of food than this museum. You will also learn about the history of the brand, about the early steps of the company, about how it gained success and what is in plan for McDonald's in the years to come.
Lake Opeka is located in Des Plaines and is a small lake on an area of 40 acres with a golf course on one of its shores. Golfing is not the only thing to do at this Des Plaines lake, you can also try several outdoor sports in the area or fishing. The lake is surrounded by a 60 acres park that is also great.
Methodist Camp Ground is also one of the main attractions in Des Plaines. Located in a Des Plaines historical building, the camp wants to honor the history of the town and preserve its heritage through educational programs that anyone can attend.
Top 5 Things to do in Des Plaines
Des Plaines is named after the Des Plaines River, which runs through it. The name is French, meaning "of the plains". Des Plaines is a city in Cook County, US. It is a suburb of Chicago, and quite close to O'Hare International Airport. The Des Plaines River flows through the city, just east of its downtown region.
1. Visit one of the original McDonald's Restaurants: McDonald's Restaurant and Museum is housed in a replica of the former McDonald's restaurant in Des Plaines. It was opened by Ray Kroc in 1955. McDonald's Museum is a show piece of all the old fryers and shakers that were used when this restaurant was first opened.
2. Spend a day in the open: Lake Opeka is a small lake surrounded by a 40 acre park which has a18 hole par-3 golf course. Jogging paths run around the east side, where a band shelter is situated among picnic tables and grills, exercise stations and a playground.
3. Browse some books in an old library: The Plaines Public Library dates back to the mid-1890s. Dr. Clarence Earle and a group of like minded thinkers kept up their fight to establish a library and eventually in 1904, a subscription library called the Tabard Inn was established on Ellinwood Street.
4. Take in a theater show: The Des Plaines Theater is an active group of local artists and there are a variety of shows that are held at this theater.
5. Visit a National Historic Site: The Methodist Camping Ground is a national historic site which out dates the village and is still active.
United States, Illinois, United States
Top depots in Des Plaines
Advantage Chicago O'Hare International Airport - 2170 Mannheim Rd Suite A, Des Plaines, IL.
Alamo Chicago Ohare Airport - 10255 W Zemke Blvd, Chicago, IL.
Avis Sears Auto Ctr - Golf Mill Shopping Ctr - 9411 North Greenwood Avenue, Niles, .
Budget Niles Il Sears - 9411 North Greenwood Avenue, Golf Mill Shop Ctr Sears Auto, Niles, .
Dollar CHICAGO - O'HARE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - 10255 W Zemke Rd, Chicago, IL.
Enterprise Nn Des Plaines 1505 - 1670 S. River Road, Des Plaines, .
Enterprise Nn-park Ridge - 2315 Oakton St, Park Ridge, .
Enterprise Ohare Intl Arpt - 10255 Zemke Blvd, Chicago, IL 60666, USA, Chicago, IL.
Enterprise Golf Mill Ford - 9401 N Milwaukee Ave, Niles, .
Enterprise Nn-mount Prospect - 400 Dempster St, Mount Prospect, .
Hertz Des Plaines Hle - 2170 S. Mannheim Rd., Des Plaines, .
National Chicago Ohare Airport - 10255 W Zemke Blvd, Chicago, IL.
Thrifty CHICAGO - O'HARE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - 10255 W Zemke Rd, Chicago, IL.