Downers Grove is a large village located in the Downers Grove and Lisle Townships in DuPage County, Illinois, the United States of America. The population of this beautiful American village barely reached 50.000 at the end of the 2000s, according to recent statistics. Downers Grove was established in 1832 by New York evangelist Pierce Downer which settled here with his family and other families – Blodgett, Curtiss and Carpenter. In more recent times, Downers Grove had its share of important residents or natives, including the drummer for My Chemical Romance – Bob Bryar, guitarist Muriel Anderson, Olympic hockey champion Cammi Granato, writer Miles Harvey, comedian Emo Philips and also actress Denise Richards.
Top Attractions withinDowners Grove
Downers Grove Historical Museum is the official museum of the town, depicting the history of Downers Grove from its early stages until present times. The exhibits include wonderful collections of documents, photographs, items of clothing and footwear and also tools used around the house. Downers Grove Historical Museum is dedicated to the preserving of the heritage of this charming village, so if you want to learn more about it, you can take a guided tour and ask everything you need to know and it was not mentioned.
Downers Grove Golf Club is the oldest golf club in town and one of the favorites of the locals. Try this country club if you want to spend a great day in the middle of the nature and take some golf lessons or compete with the pros.
North Beach is great if you dream to swim and sunbath all day long. Or you could just take long walks on the beach, to exercise and relax. Another fun thing to do at this natural attraction of Downers Grove is to play different games – for example volleyball. The place is filled with people all the time, so it will not be very hard to find someone eager to participate in a game.
Top 5 Things to do in Downers Grove
Downers Grove is situated just west of Chicago in DuPage County and is an affluent town. There is plenty to do in Downers Grove and should one want to visit, there are frequent train and bus services running to and fro.
1. Visit a grinding mill: There is a water mill that still grinds corn with a water stream that turns its paddles. The local people wear the same kind of dress that was worn in1860 as they demonstrate their skills at spinning yarn and weaving cloth. A visit here is a tour of 19th century history.
2. Take a leisurely stroll through an arboretum: With over 3,000 trees and shrubs from all over the world which have been planted in this beautifully landscaped arboretum, the Morton Arboretum is worth visiting. The trails and paths hold many surprises for the visitor.
3. Tour the gardens and mansion of a 1950s home: The 500 acre estate of late Col. Robert R. McCormick looks the same as it used to in the fifties. The mansion and the gardens are a show piece of the grandeur in which this gentleman lived.
4. Look at some endangered species: A visit to the Brookfield Zoo is an eye opener as there are over 2,700 animals that live in this zoo and have been brought here from all over the world. Some endangered species are also to be found in this zoo.
5. See vintage cars: Every week end owners of classic and vintages cars gather informally and show their prize possessions to the public. Car buffs will really enjoy seeing some of these classical beauties, which have been lovingly maintained by their owners.
United States, Illinois, United States
Top depots in Downers Grove
Avis Downers Grove, Il - 1340 Ogden Avenue, Downers Grove, .
Budget Downers Grove Il - 1340 Ogden Avenue, Downers Grove, .
Enterprise Aa North Downers Grove - 1420 Ogden Ave, Downers Grove, .
Enterprise Aa Westmont - 540 North Cass, Westmont, .
Hertz Downers Grove Hle - 2561 Ogden Avenue, Downers Grove, .