Compare Car Rental Deals in Downey - Fast and Easy
Downey is a fairly large city with a population of approximately 107,000 people according to the year 2000 census and is located in Los Angeles County, California. Downey was a thriving city when the Rockwell International plant was located over here. This plant produced parts for the Apollo project and the space shuttle.
Top 5 Things to do in Downey
1. Visit a historic McDonald Restaurant: In 1953, the fourth McDonald restaurant in this world famous chain was built at Lakewood Blvd and is one of the oldest surviving restaurants. It still has the traditional hall mark arches of the McDonald restaurants and has been placed on the list of 11 most endangered places.
2. See googie architecture: For those who do not know much about this form of architecture, a visit to Johnie's Broiler is a real treat. This drive-in restaurant has now closed, but one can see the forms and shapes of this form of architecture, symbolized by spacecrafts and other geometric shapes.
3. Take time off in the park: The Furman Park is located in the center of Downey and is a great get away treat for visitors. There are walking trials, jogging and biking tracks. Located in the city, it is a great place to take respite.
4. Play golf on a challenging course: The Rio Hondo Country Club has some big lakes and earth mounds that are a real challenge for golfers. There are putting greens and driving ranges too.
5. Take a tour in history: The Downey history center is a great place to learn the history of Downey and its surrounding area. One can just visit the center to do some serious research in this facility.