Did you know that the clocks at Chicago's Union Station bear the Elgin name? This just shows how influencial they have become through time.
Best way to travel: Car
#1 thing to do: Cook County Forest Preserves
#2 thing to do: Bluff Spring Fen
#3 thing to do: Lords Park
Fun Fact: Max Adler, founder of the Adler Planetarium in Chicago (America's first planetarium) is from Elgin.
#1 Car Rental Company: Enterprise, Hertz
Northwest of Chicago, on the Fox River is the city of Elgin, most of which is in Kane County, Illinois. The history of the city dates back to 1832 when the Native Americans were forced to leave this area during the Black Hawk Indian War. As far back as 1866, the first condensed milk factory was established here and one of the finest watches of the USA was manufactured here by the Elgin National Watch Company. Elgin has a lot to offer visitors who come here on business or vacation.
1. Look at historic architecture: Elgin has a number of houses from the Victorian era with some built in the Queen Anne style. There are some cobblestone houses also, which predate the Victorian houses and are still standing.
2. Witness a symphony orchestra: The Elgin Symphony Orchestra is an internationally acclaimed orchestra and puts on more then 50 performances a year that range from classic, family, pop, etc. The Orchestra performs at different venues in Elgin.
3. See 100 years of electric trolleys: The Fox River Trolley Museum is a show piece of the history of the electric trolley and there are a number of trolleys from different eras on display in this museum. One can also take a trolley ride to a forest preserve and the staff is very helpful and friendly.
4. Spend some time browsing books: There is a fine library in Elgin which is the Gail Borden Library. The building in which the library is housed is also beautiful and the staff is welcoming.
5. Relax in a park: There are a number of parks that one can go to just to unwind or get some exercise.