Elizabethtown is a lovely city located in the state of Kentucky, more exactly in Hardin County, being the county seat at the same time. The history of Elizabethtown goes back to 1793, when the area was established for the first time. Also known as E-town, Elizabethtown turned out to be one of the most beautiful places in the region.
There was a movie made after this city. You have probably heard of it, because it is called just like the city: Elizabethtown. The commercial development took some of the historic charm that Elizabethtown had, but it is nevertheless one of the best places to spend a short vacation or a quick getaway.
Founded in 1795, and located in Hardin County, Kentucky, Elizabethtown was named after Colonel Andrew Hyne's wife. The community has a growing commercial and industrial economy, with many cultural and recreational opportunities.
Top Attractions within Elizabethtown
Elizabethtown is the county seat of Hardin County in Kentucky and also a principal city in Kentucky. Hardin County is the childhood place of Abraham Lincoln whose father, Thomas Lincoln was one of the early residents of this county. Elizabethtown has gained a lot of fame after the movie that was named after it. The countryside here is beautiful, serene and very relaxing.
The Swope Auto Museum is definitely a great place to visit in Elizabethtown. The museum features an amazing collection of classic cars, featured in all styles and colors. Every car has a descriptive poster, which will tell you all about it. And the best part is that the museum is free, so you will be able to see this outstanding collection without paying any fees.
The Hardin County History Museum is a wonderful cultural institution located in Elizabethtown. If you want to learn more about the history, culture and traditions of the area, this is the place to visit. You will be able to admire here a wide array of interesting displays and artefacts. You can even purchase historic books, and the staff is very knowledgeable and will be pleased to help you.
The Freeman Lake Park is your best option if you want to spend a relaxing day in the outdoors. Among the attractions that the park has to offer, the most famous ones are the Sarah Bush Johnston Memorial and the Lincoln Heritage House. Children will have a lovely time here too, as there is a nice playground available for them.
1. See a treasure trove of antiques: There are a number of antique shops here and one can spend hours wandering through these shops and admiring all the antiques that they have on display.
2. Relax around a lake: Three lakes Freeman, Buffalo and Fisherman's are idyllically situated and surrounded by large and mini parks and the overall soothing and relaxing atmosphere of these surroundings, is a good place to recharge one's batteries.
3. Visit a Coca-Cola museum: The Schmidt museum of Coca-Cola memorabilia is a showcase of the history of this world famous soft drink. Right from where and how it started to where it is today, is showcased in this museum.
4. See the cars of yesteryears: The Swope Museum has a spectacular display of famous model cars of the past including an 1812 Dodge that was manufactured for an Indian Maharajah. For car lovers, this is a real treat and one may even be able to buy an antique car here.
5. Explore the longest cave system: Close to Elizabethtown is the Mammoth Cave National park that has the longest cave system in the world. Explore the eerie feelings that this cave system brings.