Finding a Cheap Car Rental in Elkhart is Now Fast and Easy
Nicknamed The City With A Heart or RV Capital Of The World, Elkhart is actually a beautiful city located in Elkhart County, Indiana, in the United States of America. Although it has the same name with the county, Elkhart is not the county seat. With a population of about 50.000 people, the economy of Elkhart relies on two major industries - of musical instruments and of recreational vehicles and on other industries like mobile homes, electronic components and pharmaceuticals. Notable resident or natives of Elkhart include Pulitzer prize winner Charles Gordone, musician Tracy Ferrie, actress Farrah Forke, actor Peter Reckel, architect Enock Hill Turlock and human right activist Georgy Vins. If you plan to visit Elkhart, do not forget about its great attractions.Did you know that Elkhart is the “RV Capital of the World”?
Best Way to travel: Car, Train
#1 Thing to do: RV/MH Hall of Fame
#2 Thing to do: Elkhart Environmental Center
#3 Thing to do: National New York Central Railroad Museum
Fun Fact: Aside from being the “RV Capital of the World”, Elkhart is also the “Band Instrument Capital of the World”.
#1 Car Rental Company: Enterprise
Top Attractions within Elkhart
Elco Theater or ELCO Performing Arts Center is a small theater which was built in 1924 and had a hectic history. Finally, a few years ago, it was restored and now is used for a variety of small productions.
The Midwest Museum of American Art has a large collection of more than 2500 works of art and an extra attraction, yearly, at least 10 temporary collections are presented in this great Elkhart museum.
The National New York Central Station Railroad Museum depicts the stories of the American railway stations.
The Ruthmere Museum is another Elkhart museum depicting life in town at the beginning of the 20th century.
Time Was Museum is a small museum also depicting life in the early stages of the town and the life of the previous generations.
The RV Hall Of Fame Museum is located within the area of Elkhart and expects visitors with stories, photographies and explanations for why is the city named the RV Capital Of The World and how can this title attract visitors from all around the world.
Top 5 Things to do in Elkhart
Elkhart is situated in Elkhart County, Indiana about 100 miles east of Chicago. There are a number of rumors about how it got its name and the most plausible is that it was named after an Indian chief who used to live in this area. Today it is a manufacturing center for musical instruments, pharmaceuticals, RVs and manufactured homes. There is plenty to see and do in this city.
1. Visit a railroad museum: For people who are interested in railways, the National New York Central Railroad Museum is the place to go to and see historical locomotives, cranes, cabooses, diners and other railroad equipment. The museum is an outdoor and indoor museum and one can actually climb aboard a steam or diesel locomotive.
2. Check out how time was in the early twentieth century: A visit to the Ruthmere and “Time Was” museums allows you to look back in history and what life was like during the early 20th century in America.
3. Attend a jazz festival: One of the nation's premier jazz festivals is held in June in Elkhart on the banks of the Elkhart River. This is a great opportunity to listen to live jazz music performed by leading jazz artists.
4. Relax in a park: There are a number of parks and recreational facilities in Elkhart that one can go to relax and take a breather.
5. See the history of RV and MH: Elkhart manufactures RV's and manufactured homes, so it is appropriate that there should be a museum about their history in the place where they are still manufactured even today.