Ferndale is a small city in Oakland County, located in the state of Michigan. It has a population of 19.900 residents, according to the 2010 census and it is part of the Detroit Metropolitan Area. It is primarily residential, with a small industrial sector in the south-east part of the city. It also has private owned shops, storefronts, dance clubs, bars and numerous restaurants and is well known for its LGBT population and liberal politics, having elected the first openly gay mayor in the state of Michigan.
Motown Museum is one of the most popular holiday destinations in the State. It is located in the city of Detroit, close to Ferndale. The museum attracts thousands of visitors from across the nation and worldwide. The Museum preserves the legacy of the Motown Record Corporation. At the same time, it educates and motivates people to appreciate Motown more, through all kinds of exhibitions and programs destined to promote the values of vision and creativity.
GoComedy! Improv Theatre is a great place where you will surely have lots of fun. There are representations by local comedians and actors that improvise and create sketch comedy. The theatre also provides a full service bar in the lobby. The waitstaff is more than happy to serve you at the table, during the show. Besides the beverages, tourists can also serve different types of snacks, such as pretzels, chips and cheese with crackers.
Ferndale Luxury Lanes is a great place to have lots of fun with your family and friends, and at the same time, enjoy a good game of bowling. You can choose from the many lanes that the venue puts to the good use of the clients. If you are tired after several games of bowling, you can take the time to relax at one of the mini-bars and enjoy a cold beverage and a snack.
Located close to Detroit in Michigan, Ferndale was known as a bedroom community during its early days when the car industry started in Detroit and most of the workers in the car plants used to live here. There was a trolley line that ran from Detroit to Ferndale. It is a typical mid western town with broad sidewalks, trees and slow traffic. Today it has a significant Gay and Lesbian population.
1. See a dream cruise of cars: Should one happen to visit Ferndale in August, then a visit to this cruise is a must. See over 30,000 cars of all shapes and eras participate in this 16 mile cruise.
2. Try your skills at curling: Curling is an ancient sport played by the Scots on frozen ice ponds and lakes with participants sliding stones as close to a ring of circles called 'the house'. The Detroit Curling Club is the place to learn how to play this ancient game.
3. Watch a sword fighting competition: The Renaissance fencing club has fencing matches every Mondays and Thursdays at the Life Christian Club and there are instructors who are willing to teach visitors the basic art of sword fencing.
4. Visit a top recording studio: Studio 54 in Ferndale is where famous rap artists like Eminem, Obie Trice, and the rap group D-12 have at one time or another recorded their albums. It is one of the top rated sound studios in America.
5. Photographs collection: The Ferndale Museum boasts a collection of over 10,000 photographs. The museum is a real treat as one can see photographs taken from the time the camera was invented.