Houma is a wonderful city located in Louisiana, United States. Houma is the parish seat of Terrebonne Parish and one of the most important cities in the whole area. With a population of more than 32.300 inhabitants, Houma city has an area of 14.2 square miles (36.8 square kilometers). Houma was founded in 1834, but the city was only incorporated in 1848. The name of the city is believed to be derived from the Houmas Indian tribe. Nowadays, Houma is a city well known for the impressive cultural life, but also for the numerous recreational areas and rich history.
Top Attractions within Houma
The Mardi Gras festivals are the most popular events that are held in Houma each year. In fact, Houma is well known as a city in which various celebrations are held every year to offer tourists the best entertainment options.
Downtown Houma is a spot that you cannot miss if you are visiting the beautiful American city. Here, you will be able to admire numerous heritage buildings, in fact Downtown Houma being listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In this part of the city you will find the Southdown Plantation, but also the Folklife Culture Center.
The Regional Military Museum is one of the cultural venues of Houma. This is the best place to be at to find out everything there is to know about the military history of the area. Numerous collections and military exhibits can be seen here.
Bayou Terrebonne Waterlife Museum was built in 1859. The museum hosts many very interesting exhibits, including furnishing pieces dating back to the 19th century, photographs and collections of local artifacts, handmade crafts, exhibits dating back to the times of Houmas Indians and also collections of paintings. The museum is hosted within the Southdown Plantation House.
Colonial Acres Golf Course and Southern Oaks Golf Course are two spectacular golf facilities located in Houma. If you love this sport, you are definitely going to have a great time in this city, while enjoying the best golfing experience of your life.
Also known as the, “Heart of American Wetlands”, Houma, Louisiana is the seat of Terrebonne Parish and there are numerous recreational attractions in the surrounding area. Cajun culture prospers here and there are various fishing related activities and swamp tours; all of which should ensure that visitors go home having had the experience of a lifetime.
1. Read at the Houma Branch Library: The building is located on Grand Caillou Road in Houma and the interior of the library ensures a peaceful environment for visitors. The extensive collection ensures that the book one is looking for can usually be located. There is a separate section for children and they receive a roll of tootsies after checking out a book.
2. Enjoy Cajun Cruises and Tours: The tours are organized with a Cajun theme and you are able to visit traditional fishing villages in American Indian Territory. Short, wild life safaris, are also available along with tour guides to help when visiting other interesting destinations in Cajun Country.
3. Take a trip on a Bayou Black Swamp Tours Airboat: Visit areas of Houma, which are only accessible by airboat and experience the excitement of entering a completely different world of swamp life. There are regular sightings of alligators and the swamps are home to a large number of bird species and other animals.
4. Visit Southdown Plantation: This is one of the historical landmarks of Houma city and is a revival mansion built in Greek architectural style. Constructed in 1859 by William J. Minor, the mansion was later turned into museum and houses a vast collection of Doughty and Boehm porcelain flowers and birds.
5. See the Houma Terrebonne Civic Center: This convention and entertainment center is spread over an area of 100,000sq.ft. and features performing arts and musical concerts.
|Unfortunately we do not have search enabled at Houma. |
Please try one of the following nearby locations:
|Book At||Miles/km to Houma||Directions to Houma||Latitude||Longitude|
|*Distance is calculated aerial. Actual will be different.|