Did you know that Huntsville has the2nd highest number of German speakers in Alabama?
Best Way to Travel: Car, Bus, Train, or Bicycle
#1 Thing to do: Bridge Street Town Centre
#2 Thing to do: U.S. Space and Rocket Center
#3 Thing to do: Huntsville Depot Museum
Fun Fact: Huntsville is included in “America's Dozen Distinctive Destinations for 2010” list by the National Trust for Historic Preservation
#1 Car Rental Company: Hertz
Located in Madison County, Huntsville is the largest city in northern Alabama. The city has grown along the banks of the Tennessee River and its industries include textile mills, armaments factories, a space flight center and a Redstone arsenal.
1. Visit the U.S. Space & Rocket Center: This museum is designed to showcase the hardware used in the U.S. space program. Exhibits include a Saturn V rocket, which is designated a National Historic Landmark, Skylab simulator, Pathfinder orbiter, Apollo 16 capsule and much more. The museum hosts space related exhibitions and interactive science displays.
2. Do not miss the Huntsville Botanical Garden: The gardens are located close to the space center and include a variety of plants, ferns, herbs and shrubs. There is a butterfly house, woodland paths, grassy meadows and unique floral collections.
3. Enjoy the Big Spring Jam: This is an annual three-day music festival, held in the last week of September. It features a variety of music, including Christian, Rock, Country, Oldies and songs for children.
4. Play at the Becky Pierce Municipal Golf Course: Operated by Robertson Golf Management Inc., this is the city's only public golf course and is situated in South Huntsville. The course is well maintained and features bermuda trees fairways.
5. Plan a trip to the Huntsville Madison County Public Library: This is Alabama's oldest operating library and has 12 branches across the county. The library houses a huge variety of collections, works of art, photographic displays and daily public programs.