Iowa City Car Rental Comparison
Iowa City is a great city in the state of Iowa, United States, located more exactly in Johnson County. Iowa City is the county seat, but also the capital city of the state. The history of Iowa City goes back to 1839, when the city was created. Now, there are 67.862 people living in Iowa City, making it the major and largest city in the state. A particularly interesting fact about Iowa City is that Forbes Magazine ranked it as the second-best small metropolitan area for doing business in the country. Nevertheless, Iowa City is also a great place to visit, because it offers numerous cultural and recreational possibilities to both its residents and tourists.
Top Attractions within Iowa City
The Iowa Old Capitol Building is one of the most impressive landmarks of Iowa City. Its construction was completed in 1842, when the building served as the main government building in the state. In 1972, The Old Capitol Building was added on the National Register of Historic Places and four years later it was designated as a National Historical Landmark.
Pedestrian Mall, also known as City Plaza, is the main shopping facility in the area. This pedestrian mall offers its visitors the chance to go on numerous shopping sprees, thus every passionate will have a wonderful time. There are numerous retailers here, as well as many restaurants and bars. The mall is also home to the Iowa City Jazz Festival and Iowa City Arts Festival.
Hickory Hill Park is one of the many parks you can find in Iowa City. This park spans on 190 acres and it will amaze you with its splendid natural beauty, which consists of forests, prairies, wetlands and open green spaces. Among the activities you can enjoy here, the most popular ones are hiking, cross-country skiing, sledding, picnicking and dog-walking.
The Museum of National History is a cultural institution that will teach you all about the local history and heritage. You will be able to admire here numerous displays and exhibits of artifacts and historical items, but also interesting depictions the wildlife extant and extinct.
Top 5 Things to Do in Iowa City
Iowa City is located in the state of Iowa and forms part of Iowa Metropolitan Statistical Area, which also includes Johnson and Washington Counties. The city is bordered by Coralville and North Liberty.
1. Check out the Old Capitol building: This prominent landmark, which is part of the Iowa State University campus, used to be the government building for the entire state. The Iowa constitution has been housed here for several years and in 1857 the building was the first home of Iowa State University.
2. Experience culture at Hancher Auditorium: For the past twenty years this theater has been the venue for numerous theatrical performances, dance-cum-musical shows and other cultural and literary activities.
3. Go shopping at Pedestrian Mall: Also called the Ped Mall, it serves as a location for student gatherings and stages events such as the Friday Night Concert Series and Iowa City Jazz Festival. The mall also contains restaurants, hotels, bars and a huge library.
4. Visit the Iowa City Public Library: This library was established in 1896 and is located at the intersection of College and Linn Streets. The building houses approximately 1,300 books, magazines and newspapers and serves 7,500 residents and 1,300 students.
5. Do not miss out on Saint Patrick's Church: This Roman Catholic Church, which is located in the heart of Iowa City is part of the Diocese of Davenport. Major parts of the church's structure have been under renovation as a result of severe damage caused by a tornado in 2006.