Compare Deals to Find a Cheap Car Rental in Joliet
Did you know that Joliet is also referred to as the “City of Champions” because of the numerous state and national titles won by Joliet High School and grade school bands?
Best Way to Travel: Car or Bus
#1 Thing to do: Harrah's Joliet Casino
#2 Thing to do: Joliet Prison
#3 Thing to do: Rialto Square Theatre
Fun Fact: Joliet is Illinois' fastest growing city
Top 5 Things to Do in Joliet
Joliet is a well-known city, southwest of Chicago, Illinois and has been incorporated as part of two counties, Will County and Kendall County. The historical roots of Joliet date back to 1834 when it was originally named Juliet.
1. Visit the Joliet Area Historical Museum: This renowned museum showcases the beauty and historical richness and diversity of the surrounding area. Attractions include tours of a replica of the construction of the Illinois & Michigan Canal, reconstructions of school districts, steel industry and historical locations in the city. The museum specializes in the promotion of sports, education, youth activities and cultural programs.
2. Be entertained at the Rialto Square Theatre: Until its renovation in 1981 the building, which first opened in 1926, was a popular movie theatre. It was converted into an, 'arts center', but still retains its original Grande Barton theatre pipe organ.
3. Enjoy the Route 66 Visitors Center: The Visitors Center is located on the Illinois stretch of historic Route 66, in a 1930's gas station that was once a Phillips 66 franchise. The center displays automobiles of yesteryear along with exhibits of Route 66 memorabilia.
4. Explore history at Universal Unitarian church of Joliet: This building is constructed in limestone and serves as a civic auditorium, in addition to fulfilling religious and other commercial uses.
5. Play the night away at Empress Casino: The Empress is a riverboat casino, located close to Channahon and Rockdale. It covers an area of 50,000sq.ft. has 1,100 slots, 20 gaming tables and is fitted out to a standard which is the equal of any casino in the country.