Kernersville is a city located in Forsyth County, North Carolina, United States of America. The town has a population of a little over 17.000 residents and an area of 12 square miles. Kernersville was settled in 1756 by a man named Jacob Story. At first, Kernersville was named Dobson's Crossroads. After the moment when president George Washington took breakfast in a tavern of Kernersville, a man named Joseph Kerner bought that place and following that event, the city was named Kerners Crossroads. The town was finally incorporated in 1873 and named Kernersville. George Washington was not the only American president passing through the city, George W. Bush visited a plant in Kernersville and Bill Clinton campaigned after his mandate was over, for his wife, also in Kernersville.
Top 5 Things to Do in Kernersville
Kernersville is a town in the Forsyth County in North Carolina in United States. It is located strategically in the heart of metropolitan area of Piedmont Triad. Arrival of new industries like Dell has given a new character to the city. Much of the rural land around the city ahs been sold to construct new housing complexes, parks and malls.
There are quite a few places and events in Kernersville that one can look out for.
1. Jule Korner built Korner's Folly in the year 1878. The structure has an unusual architecture and design. It has the recognition of housing the first Little Private theatre in United States. The house was also featured in the New York Times.
2. The Julius S. Harmon House in Kernersville has recently been renovated and has become the centre of attraction of the city. Initially a local business shop, it has now been bought by Imogene Lambe. Now it is an antiquated events center where receptions and conferences can be held.
3. There are quite a few parks that are maintained by Kernersville Park and the Recreation Department (KPRD). These are Harmon Park, Civiton Park, Fourth of July Park, Old Kernersville Lake and Beeson Athletic Complex.
4. The KPRD organizes KPRD Skates Tournament in the Kernecville Skate Park, usually in the month of November. One can register for it a few days prior to the event or on the spot as well.
5. Kernersville Cannons is usually organized in the month of February. A similar programme is organized for the youngsters between 4 to 6 years of age, in the month of November.
Top Attractions within Kernersville
Maple Leaf Golf Club is a great golf club located within Kernersville. The course has 350 yards and the toughest hole is the fifth. The staff of the club is very friendly and welcoming and even if you are not a golf passionate, you can still spend a great day in the middle of the nature, at this nice club.
Korner's Folly is also known as The Strangest House in America and is a historic entertainment house that gathers all kind of odd objects from all over the country and puts them on display on its 3 floors with 22 rooms.
Kernersville Museum is a historical museum located downtown Kernersville in a beautiful square. This is the perfect place to learn more about the interesting history of the city and to admire old items of furniture and vintage photographs collected from older residents of Kernersville.
Creations Skatepark is a huge outdoor skate park located in Kernersville. If you want to stay in shape, pay a visit to this great attraction of the city.