Download the FREE VroomVroomVroom App
Securing a Top Car Rental in Lake Charles is Quick and Easy
Lake Charles is a city of an unique beauty in the state of Louisiana, United States. Part of Calcasieu Parish, Lake Charles is located on the lake bearing the same name, but also on Calcasieu River, which offer some amazing views to the city, but also numerous opportunities to enjoy great recreation. With a population of around 71,900 residents and an area of 42.5 square miles (110.1 square kilometers), Lake Charles is one of the largest cities in the whole state, but also an important cultural and industrial center.
Lake Charles is deemed as one of the major cities that are important from an educational and cultural point of view. The city also serves as the 'Calcasieu Parish' seat. There are a variety of places one can visit in Lake Charles. Since 1861, when Lake Charles was founded under the name of Chaleston, which changed to Lake Charles in 1867, till now, the area has known and impressive development. Nowadays, Lake Charles also is an important tourist destination for people from all around the world, due to the many festivals held here, but also the unique sights of interest that can be seen in this area of the US.
Five Things You Must Do in Lake Charles
1. Imperial Calcasieu Museum: The museum in Lake Charles comprises of many historical items, pictures and prints. This includes a large collection of old kitchen items, Victorian parlor, a Sillier Oak dating back over 300 years and an old shop.
2. Guided ventures: At Lake Charles, guided ventures can be exciting trips. Various enjoyments such as hunting of wild animals can be experienced here. Some of the wild animals are ducks, doves, alligators, boars, quails, chuckers, squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, deer, teal and geese.
3. The lake guide service: If you want more excitement on the lake, then go for the lake guide service. You can hire charter boats and there are special husband and wife charter boats, available on the lake. Enjoy light fishing, flounder and reds on the boats. This is accompanied by other activities such as duck hunting.
4. Boozoos Zydeco Festival: Located on the country club road, in Lake Charles city. The Annual festival held by Boozoo Chavis is an event that must be experienced there are lots of red beans, dough pies and barbeques added into the charm of the festival. You can also enjoy the performances of Zydeco.
5. Calcasieu Parish library: Located in N Simmons Street, Calcasieu Library is a heaven for book lovers.
Top Attractions within Lake Charles
The Imperial Calcasieu Museum is the largest one in Lake Charles. Here you will find a great permanent exhibit of historical artifacts displaying the past of the area, but you will also be able to see various art works within the art gallery of the museum. The museum also hosts the Sallier oak tree, an impressive tree which is more than 400 years old.
The Mardi Gras Museum of Imperial Calcasieu is another impressive place that can be visited in Lake Charles. In this museum you will be able to see numerous extravagant costumes and interactive float. Within the city you can also visit the Children's Museum.
The Lake Charles Little Theater hosts numerous stage performances and great shows. Various events are held in this location, as well as in the other theaters of the city, the Artists Civic Theater & Studio Theater and The Children's Theater Company.
The Shiver Me Timbers Millenium Park is one of the most beautiful natural spots of Lake Charles, but also a place which offers many recreational options including picnic areas and various sport fields. However, in this city you will be able to find over 31 wonderful parks and numerous golf courses.
United States, Louisiana, United States
Other locations near Lake Charles