Lake Jackson is a beautiful city located in Texas, United States. With a population of around 26.800 residents on an area of 19.8 square miles (51.3 square kilometers), Lake Jackson is part of Brazoria County. The city was established in the 1940s and it was actually named after an oxbow lake located in the area. Lake Jackson is filled with outdoor recreation venues and if you are going to be in this wonderful city soon, make sure to include some top sights of interest into your itinerary.
Top Attractions within Lake Jackson
The Lake Jackson Historical Museum has an area of more than 12,000 square foot. The museum displays the great history of the city and the interactive exhibits that can be seen here will surely help you understand more about the cultural life of Lake Jackson. High-tech displays can be seen in this cultural venue, but also collections focusing on the early history of the area and the settlement of petrochemical industry in the city.
Sea Center Texas is a spectacular marine aquarium located in Lake Jackson. The aquarium has opened in 1996 and it currently is free to all visitors to enjoy the features here linked to marine life. In fact, the Sea Center Texas is one of the most important tourist attractions in the whole state, being visited by over 1 million people every year. Here you will be able to see all kind of marine species from crabs to even sharks.
Wilderness Golf Course is one of the most popular golf courses of the city. And there is no wonder in that, as here you will have the possibility to play golf on an 18-hole regulation length course that can be described as perfect for both beginners and advanced golf players.
Alden B. Dow Office Museum was reopened after restoring the 1943 office. The building in which this museum currently is located actually is the first one to be constructed in the city. This is the place in which the first post office of Lake Jackson was created. In this spot you will be able to see various historical exhibits, mostly liked to the life of the city during the World War II.
Top 5 Things to Do in Lake Jackson
You know the saying; everything's big in Texas. They're not joking. Lake Texas is a great place to visit and shows Texan humour in a big way. Visit streets with names such as This Way and That Way. This old oil company town has outlasted the company that founded it and provides down-home Texas charm and hospitality to one and all.
1) Visit Lake Jackson Museum: This small, unassuming museum tells the history of not only Lake Jackson but of Texas, covering the settlements and plantations that sprang up in the area in the early 1800s, as well as local history of the Civil War period. A great attraction for all history buffs.
2) Tour the Sea Center: Texas Parks and Wildlife rangers operate the educational and entertaining centre that includes a Touch-Tank, a huge aquarium that holds a wealth of gigantic fish, a fish hatchery and a wetland area with over 150 species of birds.
3) Enjoy the Natural History Museum: Located on Medical Drive, the Natural History museum offers exhibits of the local fauna and wild flowers of this coastal Texas town.
4) Visit the Brazoria National Wildlife Refuge: You haven't seen Texas until you've seen the Brazos and the wildlife refuge. Take a tour, join in group discussions and enjoy the great Texan outdoors.
5) Go shopping: When you want a break from taking in the local history spend an afternoon shopping and strolling in the Brazos Mall. Food, shops and entertainments of all kinds await visitors of all ages.
Lake Jackson,TexasUnited States