Download the FREE VroomVroomVroom App
Lakewood Car Rental Comparison: We got you covered in your car rental needs
Lakewood is a township located in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States of America. Lakewood New Jersey is the largest community of Ocean County, with almost 100.000 residents. The area of the city is of 24 square miles. Lakewood was incorporated on March 23, 1892 and was established with small parts of Brick Township, Howell Township and Mounmouth County. The community of Lakewood New Jersey is mainly orthodox, the Orthodox Judaism religion being an important part of the culture of the township. Within Lakewood you can also see Lakewood CDP, Leisure Village and Leisure Village East – census designated places.
Fun Fact: Lakewood is home to one of the largest “yeshivas” in the world. Yeshiva is a Jewish educational institution that focuses on the study of traditional religious texts such as Talmud and Torah study.
Top Attractions within Lakewood
Sister Mary Grace Burns Arboretum
is a park that was initially build for the winter home of George Jay Gould, the son of a railroad millionaire. The arboretum was designed by architect Bruce Price, who had the difficult task to design a replica of a Georgian country manor. He designed three gardens of this attraction – the Italian Garden
, the Sunken Garden
and the Formal Garden.
Japanese architect Takeo Shiota designed later the Japanese Garden
. The arboretum today bears the name of a former biology professor and was opened in 1989 in Lakewood New Jersey.First Energy Park is a stadium of Lakewood,
home of the Lakewood Blue Claws
. The minor league baseball team also lends the stadium for special events, as concerts and festivals are held with various occasions in town.
Lakewood Historical Society and Museum is a historical museum located downtown Lakewood New Jersey. The museum depicts the life of the early settlers of the city and has wonderful collections of items belonging to the same people. If you want to find out more about the history and heritage of such a lovely city, this is the perfect place to spend a whole day researching the facts.
Top 5 Things to Do in Lakewood, NJ
Just about anything you want to do in New Jersey is within easy driving distance. The best thing about Lakewood is that you don't need to leave town to have some fun. Don't let the size of this town fool you, Lakewood has a lot to offer in terms of entertainment.
1) Visit the historic Strand Theatre: Built in 1922 this famous theatre has seen the likes of George Burns and Gracie Allen, as well as the famous Milton Berle perform on its stage in days gone by. Today the theatre serves young and old alike as the town's most nostalgic movie theatre.
2) Enjoy the PNC Bank Arts Center: If you want to see a cultural show or venue, the PNC Bank Arts Center is the place to go in Lakewood. From live concerts hosting rock 'n' roll bands to country and western singers the Arts Center continuously wows visitors.
3) Cycle around town: Bike trails offer residents and visitors a chance to get outdoors for some fun and exercise. Short trails or long trails, Lakewood has a number of them to choose from.
4) Try hot air ballooning: If you're looking for something a little more exciting a hot air balloon ride is just the ticket. For information on schedules and to book a trip, contact the local Lakewood Chamber of Commerce.
5) Watch a hockey game: If you thought Canadians were crazy about their ice hockey, you've not visited a hockey rink in New Jersey.
United States, New Jersey, United States
Other locations near Lakewood