Download the FREE VroomVroomVroom App
Lancaster Car Rental Comparison: For better choices and bigger savings!
Fall in love in this place and compare the cheapest car rental in Lancaster..
Did you know that Mount Pleasant is a 250-foot high sandstone located in a park in Lancaster?
Best Way to Travel: Car
#1 Thing to do: Sherman House Museum
#2 Thing to do: Ohio Glass Museum
#3 Thing to do: Estate Golf Course
Fun Fact: Lancaster was the birthplace of the Civil War General William Tecumseh Sherman and his brother, Senator John Sherman.
#1 Car Rental Company: Avis
Lancaster is a city located in Fairfield County, Ohio, United States of America. Located in the vicinity of the Hocking River, Lancaster Ohio is also called Glass City, The 740 and The Stir. According to recent statistics, Lancaster has a population of approximately 40.000 people and an area of 18 square miles. The initial settlers of the town were Germans, most of them emigrated from Pennsylvania. The city has a charm of its own, as is considered a beautiful blend of the 19th century architecture and natural surroundings. Even so, Lancaster Ohio is a typical small to medium sized American city. If you plan to visit it, there are some attractions you should definitely see.
Top Attractions within Lancaster
Fairfield County Fair is a long lasting fair of the city – it has a tradition of approximately 90 years. The fair is held in Lancaster each October and lasts a whole week. The attractions of the event include truck, horse and tractor pulls, concerts, outdoor plays and horse races. As in any outdoor festival, this Lancaster event also includes games and all kind of rides. If you have the chance to participate to it, do not forget also about the food, as great dishes of the local cuisine are served to participants each year.
Lancaster Campus of Ohio University is a part of the campus of the nearby Ohio University, offering a wide array of degrees which include the possibility to enroll in online classes.
Ohio Glass Museum is also located in Lancaster Ohio, in the historic downtown of the city. The museum was opened in honor of the glass industry, one of the pillars of the economy of the town and of Fairfield County.
Sherman House is the birthplace of famous general William Tecumseh Sherman and his brother, John Sherman, who served as a senator. The house is now a museum filled with Civil War artifacts and memorabilia of the two brothers. It was built in 1811 and expanded by the Sherman family in 1816.
Top 5 Things to Do in Lancaster, OH
In Fairfield County there are many attractions and activities to keep you busy. From museums that feature Civil War artefacts to covered bridge tours there is enough history in Lancaster to keep anyone happy.
1. Get back to nature: Anyone who loves the outdoors would be happy to hear about the many trails and parks in Lancaster. There are miles of hiking trails, nature parks and reserves for everyone to enjoy.
2. Enjoy a festival: The Lancaster Festival Orchestra and many other musicians and artists take part in the 12 day festival with musical choices ranging from classical to jazz. There are a variety of other festivals throughout the year, ranging from seasonal to cultural.
3. Check out a historic village: The county of Fairfield has a variety of small historical villages that are filled with history and artefacts from the past. If you want to get away from the big city life, step back in time to one of these little villages.
4. Visit a museum: A historic stop in the city of Lancaster, the birthplace of General William Tecumseh Sherman and his brother is now a museum. The museum contains furniture and items that were used by the Sherman family, as well as other Civil War memorabilia.
5. Discover the covered bridges: Ohio is second only to Pennyslvania in having the largest number of authentic covered bridges. Fairfield County has the most in the state of Ohio. The majority of these interesting old bridges were built between 1871-1906 and you can still drive through them.
United States, Ohio, United States
Other locations near Lancaster