Did you know that the California Poppy State Reserve produces one of California's most abundant crops of California poppy?
Best Way to Travel: Car or Bus
#1 Thing to do: Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve
#2 Thing to do: Arthur B. Ripley Desert Woodland State Park
#3 Thing to do: Rancho Sierra Golf Course
Fun Fact: Lancaster is 5th largest city in Los Angeles, California
#1 Car Rental Company: Avis
Located not far from Los Angeles Lancaster is a fast growing city. With many cultural and recreational activities the city can be a great stopping off point on any map.
1. Visit a historic hotel: A 1920s vintage mansion, the Essex House Hotel is a restored building that was once a high-class inn for Hollywood celebrities. It was also the headquarters of the Flat Earth Society between 1910 and1920. Now a museum, one can see what the hotel looked like in the early 20th century.
2. Play in the snow: Not far from the city of Lancaster are local mountains that have snowfall in the winter. Skiing and snowboarding are great winter activities and during the summer a short drive to the Pacific Ocean can be a perfect day trip.
3. Go to a festival: In the Spring the California Poppy Festival brings 60,000 visitors to Lancaster City Park for a celebration. The city has one of California's most abundant displays of the state flower, the poppy, and now visitors from around the world come to the festival.
4. Enjoy summer activities: During the summer “Celebrate Downtown Lancaster” is a Street Fair and Farmer's Market that has fun activities for the family, live music and vendors selling specialties.
5. Check out the performing arts: For anyone who loves culture, the Lancaster Performing Arts Center has a variety of programmes ranging from community theatre to fine arts. The centre also stages classical music and dance productions, with performers from around the world.