More fun and more savings with Laredo Car Rentals
Best way to travel: Car, Bus, Train
#1 thing to do: Republic of the Rio Grande Capitol Building Museum
#2 thing to do: Lake Casa Blanca International State Park
#3 thing to do: Lamar Bruni Vergara Science Center Planetarium
Fun fact: Where Laredo takes its name from is yet to be uncovered. Most scholars claim that the name was derived from Glaretum and it means, “sandy, rocky place.” Others would say it comes from the latin word, Larida which means “gull”. Either way, it's an interesting sounding name, don't you think?
Top 5 Things to Do in Laredo
Laredo has something for everyone, whether it is a festival, a hike through a state park or a historical tour. Close to the Mexican border, this city in Texas is rich in history and also shopping destinations.
1. Go shopping: In the city of Laredo there are two indoor shopping malls, as well as a variety of plazas. One of the larger malls in the area, Mall del Norte, has around 148 stores.
2. Have fun at a festival: Laredo has several festivals, one of which is Washington's Birthday Celebration. The month long event includes parades, a carnival, an air show, fireworks and live concerts, and now attracts 400,000 visitors.
3. Hang out at the lake: A park with an artificial lake, Lake Casa Blanca International State Park is a perfect spot to hang out with the family. The facilities include a camp site, picnic benches, and cooking areas. Boating and skiing are also provided for. The lake is a popular destination for fishing all year round.
4. Visit a museum: Located in the downtown historical district, the Republic of the Rio Grande Capitol Building Museum contains memorabilia from the Republic of the Rio Grande. The museum features pictures and guided tours for children and adults.
5. Check out the Planetarium: The Lamar Bruni Vergara Science Center Planetarium is found in the Texas A & M International University Laredo campus. Seated within the dome, visitors can view an accurate image of the night sky and follow the 'motion' of the stars.