Explore Virginia with a Reliable Car Rental in Leesburg
Leesburg is a beautiful historic town in the state of Virginia, United States, located more exactly in Loudoun County and being its county seat at the same time. The town is located about 40 miles northwest of Washington, DC and is popularly known as the historic town of Virginia. The town is situated beside the Potomac River and at the base of the Catoctin Mountain.
The history of Leesburg goes back to the late 1730s, when the area was established by European settlers. Since then, Leesburg has developed greatly and has become a charming community. According to the 2010 census, Leesburg has a total population of 42,616 residents and spans on a total area of 12.5 square miles. Visiting all the historic attractions in Leesburg is surely a great idea.
Top Attractions within Leesburg
Morven Park is a historic property in Leesburg, where you will get to see the Westmoreland Davis Mansion and the Winmill Carriage Museum. Make sure that you also check out the beautiful gardens, which you can admire free of charge. The Museum of Hounds is also located in the park.
White's Ferry is the only ferry that still operates on the Potomac River, north of Leesburg. A trip on the ferry will be very rewarding, since it will give you the chance to relax, take in the fresh air, and admire the beautiful scenery. The ferry also provides a restaurant.
Ida Lee Park is a great recreational facility in Leesburg, where you can your family can spend a relaxing day in the core of the nature. The park features a picnic area with pavilions and a playground for children to play freely. The park is adjacent to the Rust Library.
Red Rocks Wilderness Overlook Regional Park is the place in Leesburg where nature lovers will have a great time. The park is perfect for hiking, birdwatching, wildlife viewing and walking across the river.
The Wine Kitchen is a great restaurant in Leesburg. They feature a diverse menu, which the terrific chef always supplements with interesting and unique offerings. The service is also incredible, so you will surely have a great dining experience here. Other dining venues you could try are Tuscarora Mill, La Lou Bistro, Fireworks Wood Fired Pizza, Blue Ridge Grill, and Palio of Leesburg.
Five Things You Must Do in Leesburg
1. Visit Hogback Mountain Paintball: A perfect vacation package for the entire family this is the place where tourists can enjoy playing at one of the twelve paintball courses. Tourists can take part in attacking each other with paintball markers or can view the action from the splendid fort, tree houses and bunkers that are present at the fields. Some of the fields even have lights to allow for nighttime playing.
2. Spend some time at the Loudoun Museum: Displaying original artifacts and documents dating back to the 18th century, this is the best place for those tourists who want to explore the history of the town. Offering many videos and audio tapes to the visitors, the museum also displays exhibits from the civil war.
3. Witness the remains of the greatest civil war battle at the Ball's Bluff Battlefield Regional Park: This is a regional park that still preserves the remains of the biggest civil war battle that took place near the town. The tourists can also engage in some other recreational activities.
4. Go to the Rust Sanctuary: This is a 62 acre preserve that was donated by the Margaret Dole Rust estate to the Audubon Naturalist Society. The sanctuary compromises a natural network of forests, ponds and meadows and includes an office and interpretive nature center.
5. Indulge in some golfing at Goose Creek Golf Club: Designed for complete fun and entertainment the golf club features an 18 hole, par 72 course. The tourists are also provided with facilities such as club houses and gift shops.