Marietta is a beautiful city located in the center of Cobb County, Georgia, United States of America. Marietta is the county seat and the largest town in Cobb County. According to recent statistics, Marietta has a population of 57,000 residents and an area of 22 square miles. The name of the city came from the wife of US senator Thomas Willis Cobb - Mary Cobb. Marietta was established around the 1820s. In present, the economy of the city is based on a few important companies - YKK, Alere, Columbian Chemicals and Tip Top Poultry. Famous Marietta residents include screenwriter Alan Ball, Heroes actor Randall Bentley, actor Dan Byrd, guitarist Robin Finck, singer Jennifer Paige and Oscar winner Joanne Woodward.
Dallas, Georgia, is a city rich in history and it has the distinction of being named after a Vice President of the United States, George M. Dallas (1845-1849). There is plenty to do and see in Dallas.
1. Visit a historical battlefield: Malachi Pickett's Mill is where a battle took place on May 27, 1864 in which 25,000 soldiers fought. It has been preserved as it was when the battle took place. The miles of battle trenches have been maintained as they were during that historic battle and other war exhibits. This is one of the best-maintained battlefields in US.
2. Interested in American history! A visit to the Paulding County History Museum also called “The little Red School House” will reveal a treasure trove of Native American artefacts, gems and minerals of the county, plus war souvenirs and historical photographs.
3. For nature lovers, Paulding Forest is the place to visit: One can go hunting, fishing, hiking, trekking, camping and bird watching in this over 26,000 acres natural forest..
4. See the splendor of 19th century architecture: The Paulding County Courthouse was built in 1892 and has been restored three times since then. The architectural splendor of that century has been so well maintained and the building, even when viewed from a distance, is awe inspiring.
5. Take a tour down memory lane to the civil war: The Friends of Civil War operate a tour that takes one through 14 notable civil war sites that played a major role in the war.
Theater in the Square is a theater of Marietta that has a huge impact on economy drawing thousands of tourists to town. In the last year, the theater brought to the Marietta city budget an estimated 7.3 million dollars. The professional theater also provides children of locals with free acting lessons.
Big Chicken is a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant located downtown Marietta. This is a landmark of the city, as it has a steel structure which resembles a chicken rising from the building. The restaurant opened in 1956 and the famous chicken was built as a method of advertising, This was designed by an architecture student from Georgia Tech - Hubert Puckett and was fabricated in Atlanta.
Kennesaw House is a historic building located in Marietta. The building is the home of Marietta Museum of History and is built in the town square. This was raised in 1845 and is one of the oldest buildings in the city. The building was supposed to be a cotton warehouse, but was eventually used as a hotel. Since 1996, the museum is located in the building.
|Unfortunately we do not have search enabled at Marietta. |
Please try one of the following nearby locations:
|Book At||Miles/km to Marietta||Directions to Marietta||Latitude||Longitude|
|*Distance is calculated aerial. Actual will be different.|