Monroe, with a population of around 30 000 is the county seat of Union County. It's historic, Victorian Courthouse, built in 1886, sits magnificently atop a central square and draws attention from every direction. To the north, lie County and City government buildings - to the south, quaint downtown shops, restaurants and businesses. Several fountains and small park areas are part of the downtown landscape. Tree-lined streets and restored historic homes carry you away from the heart of Monroe.
1. Make a Monroe Historic Home Tour. On this tour, you'll see magnificent architecture, creative home decor and splendid gardens. Enjoy the splendour of historic Monroe.
2. Historic Union County Courthouse/Heritage Room. You may even recognise this 1888 Victorian Italianate building from films and TV-settings you have seen. Today it houses county offices and the Heritage Room. If you are interested in county history or genealogical work, this is it.
3. Farmer's Market. Local vendors offer home-grown produce, plants, baked goods and more. It's quite fun to study the characters and taste some of the goodies offered. Makes a lovely family outing.
4. Union County Community Arts Council Gallery. One of the highlights of downtown Monroe is this gallery. Event shows exhibit various artists and their various mediums and entertainment.
5. Museum of the Waxhaws. From the history of the Waxhaws Indians to the 7th President, Andrew Jackson, you can witness the development of the area's regional history. Including a beautiful memorial of A. Jackson himself , exhibits include numerous artefacts from 1650 to 1900.