Best Way to Travel: Car
#1 Thing to do: Hank Williams Museum
#2 Thing to do: White House of the Confederacy
#3 Thing to do: Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts
Fun Fact: Montgomery is the capital of the State of Alabama
#1 Car Rental Company: Hertz
Montgomery shows much about its 19th century history, a real Old Alabama Town with plenty of places to commemorate the fight for Civil Rights, like Rosa Parks, the African lady who refused to sit in the back of the bus and was hence force arrested. The city has carried its Southern charm into our days and offers lots of art events and Museums.
1. Visit the First White House of the Confederacy. Enjoy a guided tour of the home where Jefferson Davis lived at the birth of the Confederacy. The entire house reflects the period during which the house stood as the headquarters for the Confederacy, including many authentic artefacts used by Davis and his family.
2. Walk Old Alabama Town. Costumed interpreters guide you through life in the 19th and early 20th centuries in this fascinating 4-block “town.” Visit over 40 buildings from schoolhouses to cotton gins and experience life as an Alabamian in the state's infancy.
3. Have a rest at Blount Cultural Park. A lush oasis in the city, reminiscent of the English countryside. The park is home to beautiful trees, flowers, sculptures, a wood and stone bridge and the unique architectural designs of the Alabama Shakespeare Festival and the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts.
4. See the Civil Rights Memorial. The wall behind the memorial shows a speech from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the memorial itself a tablecloth of flowing water – quite a sight!
5. Visit Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church. In this National Historic Landmark you'll see the modest pulpit where Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. first preached his message of hope and brotherhood. This church was also a centre point of the Montgomery bus boycott. A large mural in the church depicts King's civil rights crusade from Montgomery to Memphis.
|Unfortunately we do not have search enabled at Montgomery. |
Please try one of the following nearby locations:
|Book At||Miles/km to Montgomery||Directions to Montgomery||Latitude||Longitude|
|*Distance is calculated aerial. Actual will be different.|