Port Charlotte, Florida is a city of about 47 thousand Americans, located in southwest Florida on Charlotte Harbor. It is located just a 10-minute drive north of Punta Gorda (across the Peace River), 40 minutes north of Fort Myers and 50 minutes north of Cape Coral. In 2012, U.S. News & World Report named Port Charlotte as one of its 10 “best places in the United States to retire”. This city's population has risen rapidly, increasing by 400% from 1970 to 2010. Port Charlotte High School alumni include NFL players Anthony Hargrove and John Hall, Cleveland Indians outfielder Matt LaPorta, musician Vinnie Fiorello and fashion designer Asher Levine!
Port Charlotte is a charming census-designated place in Charlotte County (i.e. township limits are determined by settlements rather than an official boundary), in the state of Florida, United States. As per the census count conducted in 2000 the population was 46,451. Originally, the Port Charlotte area was designed and developed by the now General Development Corporation (now dissolved after convicted of fraudulent trading in 1991).
The history of Port Charlotte goes back to the last ice age, when the area was inhabited by nomadic paleo-indians. In the 16th century, the Europeans arrived in the area and settled it. Port Charlotte became US territory in 1819, but it did not know a major development until the 20th century. Now, Port Charlotte has a total population of 46,451 according to the 2000 census, making it an important part of the Punta Gorda Metropolitan Area. Port Charlotte is also a great place to visit, as it provides diverse cultural and recreational possibilities.
If you are traveling to Port Charlotte and you'll need a rental car from Avis, Budget, or Hertz to get around this gorgeous Florida city, it's worth your time to compare the lowest rates on car rental in the area, using our site to see the total prices you'd pay for all the various cars, trucks and SUVs that are available from all the top rental car companies.
Port Charlotte is located on the shores of the north end of Charlotte Harbor. The city of Punta Gorda lies to the southeast, and Naples, Florida, is 65 miles to the south. You can drive to – and explore – either of these neighboring cities with your car rental... or really anywhere in Florida, depending on your schedule and interests!
If you remain in Port Charlotte, why not drive your cheap car rental over to Charlotte Sports Park, and see a home game of the Charlotte Stone Crabs? This baseball team is a member of the Florida State League and the Class High-A farm team for the Tampa Bay Rays. The Rays also play spring training games at Charlotte Sports Park.
Kidstar Park is a great provider of family fun in Port Charlotte. This amusement park will be loved by children in particular, as it provides many rides and a variety of activities which they can take in, such as go-karting, rock climbing, arcade games and Laser Tag. A snack bar is also available, for when you get hungry.
Port Charlotte Beach Park is a wonderful recreational facility in the core of the nature, where you will be able to relax, take in the fresh air and admire the scenery. You can walk along the wooden fishing pier, swim or launch a boat. The beach is beautiful and the water is great, perfect for swimming. Picnic tables and parking are also available.
Visani Restaurant and Theater is the place where good food and good entertainment intermingle, providing you with an unforgettable dining experience. Whether you try the Italian cuisine or the traditional stakes, you can rest assured that everything on the menu will taste incredible.
Bocca Lupo Coal Oven Pizza is a venue which praises itself for serving the best pizza in the state of Florida. Come here and enjoy a delicious slice of pizza, or try the crispy wings. Luigi's Pizzeria and Bella Napoli Pizza are other eating venues in Port Charlotte which serve tasty pizza.
Listed below are the five most admired attractions in Port Charlotte:
1. Get refreshed at the Port Charlotte Bay Park: This Park provides Bocce ball, basketball courts, horseshoe pits, children's playing fields, a swimming pool, a beach, along with kayaking and canoeing facilities to its visitors.
2. Deep Creek Communal Golf Club: This golf club is a semi-private course, which is open for communal use at a reasonable golfing charge. The course is over a 6,000-yard golfing area.
3. The Riverwood Golf and Country Club: This golf club is a level 72, championship golf course, which is stretched over an area of 6,939 yards accompanying a slant of 133.
4. The Kidstar Park: The Kidstar Park is an outdoor children's fun park that provides pleasure for the entire family with go-kart racing opportunities for the visitors, children's fun rides and thirty-two-foot mountaineering zone.
5. The Prime Christian Church of Port Charlotte: Tourists can attend services at the First Christian Church of Port Charlotte. This church opens its doors to worship at 8:45 a.m. and 10:15 a.m. on a daily basis.