Port Jefferson is located in the Suffolk County, in the State of New York. As it is an incorporated village, Port Jefferson is part of the Brookhaven town on the North Shore. The population of Port Jefferson reaches approximately 7,840 inhabitants. The small community of Port Jefferson has seen major development in terms of tourism, because it includes many shops, restaurants and recreational venues.
The Port Jefferson Village Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. The district is made out of 98 buildings, which showcase the passage of time and the amazing work that has been done by the community in order to maintain its values and landmarks. The buildings that are included in the Village Historic District are now residential homes and commercial spaces. As a result, some of them are opened for visitation and you may even have the chance to buy souvenirs and other objects.
The Charles Dickens Festival is held every year in December, in Port Jefferson. The purpose of the festival is to bring back that old community feel, though the help of 19th century costumes, decorations and programs. Some of the most interesting events you will appreciate are: horseback tours, poetry readings, caroling and market booth vending. Enter the Christmas spirit in an old-fashioned way, through a beautiful celebration in the village.
The Imagine Gallery is one of the most appreciated cultural providers in the village of Port Jefferson. Here numerous local artists come to showcase their works and to offer people a chance to admire it and even buy some of the pieces. The collections that are usually housed here include paintings, photographs and sculptures. The space of the gallery is very well divided and it is custom organized for each exhibition to have a feel of its own.
C'est Cheese is a unique venue in Port Jefferson. It offers customers a chance to eat all the most delicious gourmet foods. In addition, you can also opt for their special gift cards and gourmet basket gifts.
Port Jefferson is well known for its scenic locations and the five most significant places in visit in Port Jefferson are mentioned below:
1. Post Jefferson Historical Society: Greater Port Jefferson Historical Society was founded in the year 1967. It displays the pre-historic details regarding the Port Jefferson. Visitors can look around and gain knowledge about the significant information regarding this beautiful region.
2. Martha Jefferson Bay Cruises: Visitors can enjoy and experience a memorable cruise through Long Island Seaport. It is a unique way to enjoy all the beauty and splendor of the Port Jefferson area. This vessel accommodates for a great variety of occasions, meetings and special outings from sixty to one hundred and fifty guests.
3. Fantastic Danford Inn Service: Danford's Inn is considered to be the best option for the tourists who are looking for accommodation in Port Jefferson. They have a marvelous restaurant, where a delicious breakfast and sumptuous dinner can be enjoyed. The Loft Club Inn's night venue offers live music by rocking bands and also offers dancing events.
4. Port Jefferson's highly populated shops: At certain times it becomes impossible to walk along the Port Jefferson roads as the shops can be filled with tourists and visitors. Many mouthwatering items such as strawberries, ice creams, ethnic eateries as well as handmade gifts and many more souvenirs are available at a competitive price.
5. Setauket Tennis Court: This tennis court is very much unique and popular for its large area set aside for numerous tennis courts.