Port Washington is a small city in the state of New York, in Nassau County to the northern shore of the Long Island with a total population of 15.846. The name, Port Washington, can be found in a few locations in the United States of America such as New York, Wisconsin and Ohio. Although Port Washington is a small city, there are many local attractions in and around the city, as well as many accommodations and venues, where you can enjoy the local food and beverages. Port Washington combines elements of new and old. Therefore it can be considered a very eclectic city and an ideal holiday destination for people who want to spend a short vacation or a weekend getaway in Port Washington.
Top Attractions Within Port Washington
Sands Points Preserve is a wonderful park in Port Washington, where you can enjoy a relaxing time out from the hustle and bustle of the big city. The park has many trails through the woods and on the beach, as well as beautiful historic mansions on the property. Adults have to pay an entrance fee, while children have free admission. The park has also got extensive lawns, which are perfect for picnics.
Louie's Oyster Bar and Grille is a wonderful restaurant in Port Washington, where you can enjoy the best seafood specialties. The restaurant has a nice setting, great atmosphere and the specialties on the menu are varied. The darling of the menu is the clam chowder. It is a true delicacy and do not be afraid to try it.
Brio Ristorante Italiano is a unique restaurant in Port Washington that offers an authentic Italian food experience. The menu is full and it ranges from Italian specialties, to an extensive list of wines and other beverages. The service is attentive and the staff will cater to your every need. If you want to have a celebration here, you can rent a private party room.
Port Sailing School is the place in Port Washington where you can enjoy sailing on the lake, by renting a boat, kayak or canoe. The employees will give you a short notice of the safety measures you need to take. The venue has also got a restaurant, where you can enjoy local meals and a wide selection of beverages.
A visit to this port will remain incomplete without indulging in the activities mentioned below:
1. Go Sailing: Port Washington town is rich in sailing history. In fact the first ever starboat sailed in the Manhasset Bay. American sailors, as well as boat designers, honed their skills here. The port annually holds three grand regattas, which are: The Knickerbocker Cup, The Leukemia Cup and The Fall Series.
2. Nature Lovers experience the beautiful landscapes: Sands Point Preserve is a delight for all the nature lovers. This is a 216-acre area sporting both landscaped and natural sights. The preserve encompasses various shores; cliffs and fields; a fresh water pool, six self-channeled nature tracks, a historical museum as well as two inspiring historic castles.
3. The unique “Sands Point Lighthouse”: This amazingly splendid lighthouse is made up of freestone blocks and is eighty-feet high. The lighthouse complements, quite excellently, the glorious houses on the northern shore, which line the water's edge.
4. Visit the Main Street: The Jeanne Rimsky Theater has the capacity to accommodate 460 people. It presents an extensive selection of programs especially intended for tourists such as dance, music, comedy, theatrical events and drama.
5. Shop for Antiques: In Port Washington, there are two types of stores: one is the bait shops and second is the antique stores. Shop for antiques and keep them as lifetime souvenirs.