Did you know that Pueblo is dubbed as 'Steel City'? Contrary to its nickname the town is also known for its warm hospitality.
Best way to travel: Car
#1 thing to do: Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum
#2 thing to do: Steelworks Museum of Industry and Culture
#3 thing to do: Fountain Creek
Fun Fact: President Dwight D. Eisenhower upon presenting Raymond G. "Jerry" Murphy with his Medal in 1953 commented, "What is it... something in the water out there in Pueblo? All you guys turn out to be heroes!" In 1993, the City Council adopted the tagline "Home of Heroes" because it can claim more recipients per capita than any other city in the United States.
#1 Car Rental Company: Hertz, Enterprise
Pueblo, in Colorado, has a rich history as one of the original 'Wild West' towns but has gracefully evolved into a centre for industry, commerce and culture, offering a fantastic experience for visitors. The top 5 things to do in Pueblo are:
1. The El Pueblo Museum: The El Pueblo Museum cannot be missed due to its rich displays which chronicle life in Pueblo, for the Native Americans, Spanish settlers and the trappers etc. An excellent way to understand just how modern Pueblo was shaped.
2. Raptor Center: Visit the Raptor Center which is a fascinating center featuring birds of prey, many of which have been injured and are cared for until they are well or stay on at the center. Often misunderstood or feared, this experience will help de-mystify birds of prey and promote understanding of their role in the world.
3. Rock Canyon Water Slide: Have fun at the Rock Canyon Water Slide with a choice of three slides, sandy beaches and the chance to hire a paddle or row boats it is a delight for all the family!
4. Weisbrod Aircraft Museum: For a slightly different Museum experience, you should not miss the Weisbrod Aircraft Museum. This museum has been dedicated to an airport, formerly an air base which is where the Liberator crews trained during the Second World War. An enthralling insight into the efforts made to win the war.
5. Pueblo Zoo: Spend a day at Pueblo zoo which is home to over 400 animals all contained within 30 acres. You can even take a peek at the penguins diving from an underwater viewing area and watch the lions stalking and flexing their muscles. Maned wolves and a huge range of reptiles are also star attractions at the zoo.