Riverhead is a lovely town in the state of New York, United States, located more exactly in Suffolk County, on the north shore of Long Island, being the county seat at the same time. The history of Riverhead goes back to 1792, when the town was developed. Riverhead has a total population of 33,506 residents, according to the 2010 census, and it spans on a total area of 201.3 square miles.
Did you know that the name “Riverhead” signifies that the mouth of the Peconic River is in this town? This beautiful town will definitely impress you with its small town charm, as well as with the numerous venues and attractions that Riverhead offers. Riverhead is a great place to spend a few days. Discover this place and compare the best car rental in Riverhead.Population: 33,506
Top Attractions within Riverhead
The Long Island Blues Festival is one of the most popular events in Riverhead. The festival is held every year, in the summer. People come here during the festival from all over the region, in order to enjoy the great music and foods. Another event that goes on in the summer time is the Polish Festival.
Long Island Aquarium and Exhibition Center is an amazing museum in Riverhead, dedicated to Atlantic themes. The museum opened in 2000 and has immediately gained in popularity among both locals and tourists, particularly due to the 20,000 gallon coral reef display tank, which is said to be the largest living-coral display in the Western Hemisphere. The museum also features indoor and outdoor exhibits, as well as interactive displays.
Splish Splash is one of the greatest providers of clean family fun in Riverhead. This amazing water park was even ranked the 3rd best water park in the country, as it has more than 30 rides, numerous pools and other awesome water features. Children will definitely love this place. A restaurant is also available, for when you get hungry.
The Tanger Outlet Mall is the main shopping facility in Riverhead. This shopping mall is part of the numerous Tanger Factory Outlet Centers chain and it features numerous stores and anchors, as well as many dining options that will satisfy every taste bud. This outlet mall is very popular, since it has millions of visitors every year.
The town of Riverhead is located on the north shore of Long Island in Suffolk County, New York, United States. Every summer Riverhead comes alive as it hosts the Polish Festival and the Long Island Blues Festival.
1. Atlantis Marine World Aquarium: Ranked among the top ten aquariums for kids. Atlantis encourages youngsters and adults alike to learn through their interactive indoor and outdoor exhibits. The aquariums Aquatic Adventures offers opportunities from taking a dive in the shark exhibit to getting kissed by a seal.
2. Suffolk County Historical Society: Established in 1886 the museum is the repository of over 300 years of history of Suffolk County. Through its halls you are able to glimpse into the life of the Algonquin people and the European settlers that founded the area.
3. Riverhead Raceway: Built in 1949 Riverhead is one of the older stock car race tracks in the US and a circuit stop for the NASCAR Winston Racing Series. Every Saturday night provides the thrill of speed with around 150 cars in the pits.
4. Dinosaur Walk Museum: Take time to step into the world of the dinosaurs. With over 50 life-size sculptures created by paleo-artists you can almost feel the breath of the 2-story-high Tyrannosaurus Rex on your face.
5. Cherry Creek Golf: Cherry Creek has the unique advantage of offering two distinctively different golf courses (The Woods a par 71 and The Links a par 73) across the street from each other. Restaurants are available at both courses. The Woods is home to Stonewalls Restaurant at The Woods.