Roanoke Car Rental Comparison
Did you know that Roanoke is also called “The Star City of the South”?
Best Way to Travel: Train, Bus, Car
#1 Thing to Do: O. Winston Link Museum
#2 Thing to Do: Mill Mountain Star and Park
#3 Thing to Do: Center in the Square
Fun Fact: The daily newspaper of Roanoke, The Roanoke Times, has been publishing for more than 120 years.
#1 Car Rental Company: Avis, Budget
Festival in the Park is one of the special celebrations that are held every year in Roanoke, during Memorial Day weekend. The event focuses on providing people with a chance to get to know the values of this community and to have a lot of opportunities for fun and entertainment. Some of the central activities that are featured during the festival revolve on: performing arts, family entertainment, fine arts and crafts show, power runs, youth art show and sale exhibitions for various products and services. There are suitable activities and events for people of all ages during Festival in the Park in Roanoke.
The Centre in the Square is a massive construction, which was built in Roanoke in 1983. The building now houses a variety of institutions that you might like to visit in order to enrich your general knowledge and to find out interesting facts. The History Museum of Western Virginia is one of the main residents, providing massive collections of representative artifacts for the most important events in the past of the region. The Science Museum of Western Virginia is another tenant, which enables people to admire a great variety of scientific objects and works. The Hopkins Planetarium is also included in the building and it is one of the favorite attractions here, especially for families.
The Commonwealth Games of Virginia are held each year in Roanoke and in the surrounding communities, in July. This is a large sporting event, that covers all the sports people might be interested in. It is the perfect chance for talented individuals to showcase their special skills and techniques in the particular game they play. Other special events may occur over the course of the year, in order to keep people focused, training and active.
Top 5 Things to Do in Roanoke
Roanoke is an autonomous city situated in the Commonwealth of Virginia, United States. Its location has allowed Roanoke to become the hub for trade, education, industry and travel of western Virginia.
1. Roanoke Star: Standing 88-feet tall this neon lit, free standing star is considered to be the largest in the world. Built as a Christmas advertisement for the city of Roanoke in 1949 it remains in use and can be seen up to 60 miles away.
2. The Natural Bridge Nature Park: Originally owned by Thomas Jefferson the Natural Bridge has been hailed as one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World. Among the attractions at Natural Bridge is a Native American Village, caverns and nature trails.
3. Smith Mountain Lake: This 22,000 acre lake has over 500 miles of shoreline surrounded by some of the most beautiful mountains in the area. Smith Mountain Lake is one of Virginia's premier lakes for fun in the water and on land. Services on the lake range from golfing to shopping and camping to dining.
4. Center in the Square: Housed within a refurbished warehouse, Center in the Square is the regions cultural center. There are seven organizations under one roof from a science museum to an opera house, a history museum to a ballet theater. There is plenty here to entertain both mind and soul.
5. Valhalla Vineyards: Situated on a mountaintop overlooking Roanoke, Valhalla Vineyards has been producing award winning wines since 1998. Sample their wines at the Cellar Door.