Explore Missouri with a Reliable Car Rental in Saint Charles
St. Charles is located in St. Charles County, Missouri, just a short drive from St Louis. Its origins go back to the 18th century when it was the first European settlement along the Mississippi River and Missouri's first state capital from 1821 – 1826. According to recent studies, Saint Charles is the second largest city in the county. Louis Blanchette settled the city in 1765 and named it Les Petites Cotes, meaning "the little hills". The Riverfront area and Main Street is a focal point for the community. Here there are many shops, restaurants and offices where locals socialize and tourists frequent.
Top attractions in Saint Charles
Blanchette Park and Aquatic Center is a large park located in Saint Charles. It became more popular since 1914. The park includes walking, hiking and jogging trails and games courses. The aquatic center features a lot of attractions and is a favorite of the locals during summer.
Historic Frenchtown District is one of the oldest neighborhoods in town. You should visit this area of Saint Charles if you want to find out more about the history of the city. It was raised in the late 18th century by the French settlers and now is an important touristic attraction thanks to its many stores and restaurants.
Saint Charles County Historical Society is located on the Main Street of Saint Charles. This museum was settled in 1956 and since then, it gathered a great collection of artifacts and documents related to the development of the city through the years.
Magpie Cafe is great if you want to have lunch in the city center of Saint Charles. This is a family restaurant and the dishes are inspired by the local cuisine. If you want to try something really special, choose the potato soup or the spinach salad.
5 things you must do in St. Charles
1. St. Louis- Harrah's Casino: Situated in nearby Maryland Heights, this entertainment center has two casino featuring over 2,700 slot machines and video poker and a 21-table poker room. For more information on the Casino click on the link.
2. Demolition Ball: Located at Scherer Parkway, this unique game which combines football, hockey, basketball and polo with some bumper-car action. Live music, sound effects and referees are also included. Opening hours are from 2pm in the afternoon, closing times vary depending on the day.
3. Lewis & Clark Center: Visitors can get hands-on information relating to the past history of Missouri State. It features exhibits on Indian federations of tribes, and the equipment and materials used by explorers Meriweather Lewis and Willliam Clark for their overland expedition to the Pacific Coast (1804-1806).
4. Grand Prix karting: Situated on Highway 94 North, Grand Prix Karting has several race tracks and over 60-karts for children.
5. St. Charles Christmas Traditions: This is one of America's largest Christmas Festivals and lasts for around a month, from just after Thanksgiving until Christmas. People stroll through the town authentically dressed as traditional Christmas characters, Victorian carolers sing traditional carols and vendors wander around the crowds selling fudge and hot chestnuts. The Lewis & Clark Fife and Drum Corps take part in the Santa Parade every Saturday and Sunday.