Compare Rental Cars in San Diego Miramar
San Diego Miramar is one of the northern neighborhoods of San Diego city, located in the state of California, United States. San Diego Miramar is actually a military base, founded in 1950. Prior to becoming a military base, San Diego Miramar was home to a small, isolated community. No buildings from that time are standing today, so San Diego Miramar started from scratch. Residential and commercial areas have slowly started to take shape, making San Diego Miramar one of the most recognized real estate markets in San Diego, maintaining also a high occupancy rate.
Top Attractions within San Diego Miramar
Miramar is a popular neighborhood located in the north of San Diego, California. The area owes much of its popularity to being a main commercial and industrial hub for the region. Miramar is the location of the U.S. Navy School, TOPGUN which was handed over to the Marine Corps in 1996, and was then relocated to Nevada. Many people recognize TOPGUN from the movie of the same name.
The Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum is a great museum located at San Diego Miramar Marine Corps Air Station. Coming here will teach you many interesting facts about the history and heritage of the United States, as there are many galleries and exhibits which put on display a wide array of historical items and artifacts. There are also aircraft exhibits you can see.
The San Diego Miramar Air Show is a popular event that is being held every year at Marine Corps Air Station, in October. The event spans on three days and it gathers hundreds of thousands of locals and tourists who come to witness one of the largest military air shows in the world. If you are here during October, make sure that you do not miss seeing this once in a lifetime show.
San Diego Miramar Regional Park is a great recreational place, where you can relax and take in a variety of fun activities, including soccer, cricket, baseball, football, volleyball and basketball. The park also features children playing areas, covered pavilions and a nice aquatic complex. Clearly, everyone will have a nice time here, regardless of the age.
Antonio's Pizzeria is the eating venue in San Diego Miramar that will satisfy every taste bud, since it offers a wide array of pizza specials. The pizzeria has been around for more than 35 years and it has always been the place where people would go for a great dining experience.
5 Things You Must Do in Miramar
1. A visit to Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS Miramar): This location is a U.S. Military airfield about 10 miles from San Diego. There are historical remains of aircraft from the World War I and II periods. The air station is now home to the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, the aviation section of the 1st U.S. Marine Expeditionary Force.
2. A slice of aviation history at the Flying Leathernecks Aviation Museum: This museum is home to various aircraft contributed by Marine Corps aviators. It consists of an outdoor area which displays about 25 vintage aircrafts and other related memorabilia. It also has various aviation trophies and awards on display.
3. Enjoy the excitement at the Miramar Airshow: This airshow is held every year in October at MCAS Miramar. The highlights of the show are varied with acrobatic drills and maneuvers performed by helicopters, fighter jets, Thunderbirds, Howitzers and others.
4. Go back in history while at Camp Holcomb (Camp Elliot): At the end of the World War II Miramar became the center for marine artillery and machine gun training. Camp Elliot was the location of the Fleet Marine Force Training Center and the 2nd Marine Division.
5. Explore natural charm at Scripps Ranch: Scripps Ranch is an inland community in the north-east of San Diego. Its 400 acres contain a wide variety of nature trails with natural flora and fauna for hikers to enjoy. This beautiful, hilly countryside next to Miramar Lake has scenic views and groves of pine and eucalyptus trees.