Did you know that due to its nearness to Lake Pend Oreille and Schweitzer Mountain Ski Resort, Sand Point's major industry is tourism and recreation?
Best Way to Travel: Train, Car
#1 Thing to do: Selkirk Powder Company
#2 Thing to do: Schweitzer Mountain
#3 Thing to do: Hidden Lakes Golf Resort
Fun Fact: The Lakedance International Film Festival in Sandpoint is one of the largest festivals in the Northwestern United States.
#1 Car Rental Company: Thrifty
The city of Sandpoint is in Bonner County, Idaho and the city is sustained mainly by its tourism industry. Some of the important attractions for visitors to the city are the McCroskey State Park, the Spokane Opera House, Wild Waters and others. The Schweitzer Mountain Ski Resort and the Lake Pend Oreille near the town also make it popular among travelers.
1. McCroskey State Park: This state park covers a huge area of about 5,300 acres and is the shelter of a variety of wildlife. Due to thick forest one cannot explore much of it, but for the hikers the park is a heaven. Species of bears, deer and other wildlife are found at this park.
2. Idaho Panhandle National Forest: The hiking trail of over 3,000 miles distinguishes the Panhandle National Forest. Millions of people visit the forest every year, and the place is great for recreational activities such as boating, fishing, camping, and biking. The ideal point to explore this vast area is from the Coeur d'Alene.
3. Spokane Opera House: This opera house was constructed in 1974 to host the World's Fair and it still retains its acoustics and the enthralling performances by artists. As many as 2500 people can enjoy musical performances, ballets and other events.
4. Wild Waters: The 25-year-old Wild Waters and the newly opened waterway feature attractions like fountains, waterfalls, and Tarzan-style rope rides. The place is a wonderful recreational area for children.
5. Wonderland Family Fun Center: As the name of the attraction suggests, it is a wonderful place for holidaying families. The features of the place include laser tag, arcade games, mini golf and much more.