The city of Sandwich is the oldest city in Cap Cod. The history of the city dates back to the year 1637 when the Puritan exiles came from Britain and settled down here. There are historical and religious sites in the city, which visitors can visit. The attractions in the city include the Glass Museum, Thornton W. Burgess Museum, Heritage Museums and Gardens, Beacon Hill Masterpieces Walking Tour, and the National Marine Life Center.
Five Things You Must Do in Sandwich
1. Glass Museum: The glass industry of Sandwich was the main industry and as such, the museum features different aspects of the industry since its origin. The museum enlightens the visitors with the history of the city by exhibiting live shows of glass blowing, as well as glass works by artists.
2. Thornton W. Burgess Museum: The museum houses different things of the author Anthony Burgess, who wrote for children and was a native of the city. Visitors can watch things like games, toys, and a variety of books and characters from the works of the author come alive at the museum.
3. Heritage Museums and Gardens: The Heritage Museums and Gardens are on Grove Street and are spread over an area of one hundred acres. The history of America is depicted in details at this site. Places worth noting include the Cape Cod Baseball League Hall of Fame, a museum of antique automobiles, the American History Museum and a maze garden.
4. Beacon Hill Masterpieces Walking Tour: The tour is the best option for visitors to learn the culture and history of the region. The tour takes visitors from the Shaw Memorial to the picturesque streets of Beacon Hill.
5. National Marine Life Center: The Marine center is the rehabilitation center of marine animals like turtles, whales, dolphins, and seals.
Top Attractions Within Sandwich
Heritage Museum and Garden is the one place in Sandwich, where you can learn everything you need to know about the culture, history and civilization of Sandwich. The museum has got a world famous automobile collection, as well as vintage motorcycles. A more recent acquisition to the museum is the collection of American kitchens. Aside from the museum, there is also the garden that has a wide range of beautifully displayed flowerbeds and trees.
Marshalnd Restaurant is a great place in Sandwich, where they have the best sandwiches, fish and chips, clam chowder and Italian cuisine in the area. Aside from the restaurant that offers a mouthwatering menu, the venue has also got a bakery, where tourists can serve muffins, cakes, pies and cookies. The most delicious dishes at the most affordable prices.
Hemisphere Waterfront Restaurant is a lively waterfront restaurant and bar in Sandwich. The restaurant has an outside deck, a lower beach patio and a beach bar. The food is great, ranging from fine European dishes to exotic and exquisite Asian food. There is also a fine selection of wines. This place is great, since it will satisfy every gourmet's taste buds.
Wing Fort House in Sandwich is the oldest home in Massachusetts, and its history goes back to the 17th century, when Stephen Wing purchased the property from the Mayor of Sandwich. It is one of the most interesting attraction points in Sandwich, since it tells the tale of the town, by means of documents and photographs.