Sausalito Car Rental Comparison: Drive with the best deals!
Fun Fact: Sausalito's houseboat community is consisted of more than 400 houseboats of various shapes, size, and values. These houseboats are located about two miles from downtown Sausalito.
Sausalito is a warm and beautiful city located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Sausalito is situated in Marin County, California, United States of America. It is close to San Rafael and to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. The name of Sausalito means "small willow grove" in Spanish and before the city was finally named, it was used in different variations like San Salito, Sauz Saulita, San Saulito or Sancolito. The first European that set foot on the area that is now Sausalito was Spanish Don Jose de Canizares on August 5, 1775. The development of the area begun only in the early 19th century, thanks to William A. Richardson. In our time, Sausalito is a developing city and has a lot of points of interest.
Top Attractions within Sausalito
Bay Area Discovery Museum is an indoor and outdoor museum for children, located in Sausalito. It has an area of more than 7.5 acres and is located in the area of Golden Gate National Recreation Area. This Sausalito attraction has more than 300.000 visitors each year. It is famous for nurturing the creativity of children and encouraging their curiosities.
Point Bonita Lighthouse is one of the lighthouses belonging to the Golden Gate Bridge. It was built in the 1850s and it was eventually the last manned building of this kind on the coast of California. In present, the Coast Guard is in charge with this Sausalito attraction.
Muir Beach is one of the most beautiful attractions of California. The scenic beach offers few accommodation possibilities, but a lot of recreational activities. This Sausalito beach is perfect for boating, fishing and swimming and is considered to be a hot spot of the city.
Avatar's is an Indian restaurant located in Sausalito. It is very affordable and cozy and the portions of food are large and delicious. Avatar's is easy to find, being located downtown, at 2656 Bridgeway.
Five Things You Must Do in Sausalito
Sausalito is a small city located in the San Francisco Bay Area in California of the U.S.A. The population is about 7,330 spread over an area of 5.8 square km. The present day Sausalito was earlier thronged by Englishmen who later gave way to the Mexicans.
1. Visit the Golden Gate Bridge: Since Sausalito is located on the north side of Golden Gate Bridge, it gets its share of tourists from San Francisco. The bridge has been a real architectural wonder, once being the largest suspension bridge in the world. The bridge acts as means of facilitating immense loads of road and marine traffic.
2. Rediscover boatbuilding at Spaulding Boatworks: Sausalito has a great history of building ships from the World War II era. The boat types include fishing and official vessels, government-contract boats and recreational yachts. Spaulding Boatworks was founded in 1951 and is still in service.
3. Explore natural views at Schoonmaker Point: Schoonmaker Point is a low-lying feature in the San Francisco Bay. This site, apart from being one of the crucial shipbuilding sites during World War II, also offers rare opportunities for kayaking and other marine activities.
4. Go deep in boat-making at Marinship Corporation: Sausalito has also been home to this famous ship building outfit. The proximity to the Golden Gate Bridge lead to the establishment of a center of boat building in the Northern part of city which could also facilitate easy marine transportation.
5. Boost your knowledge at Sausalito Library: This is a public library opened in 1974 and comprised of over 64,000 books, journals, periodicals and audiobooks. Child and adult programs, internet access, wireless access, online databases and computer training are the highlights of the library.