Shakopee is a beautiful city located near Minneapolis. Shakopee is located in Scott County and is its county seat, along the Minnesota River, in Minnesota, United States of America. The city of Shakopee was founded in the area where, in the 17th century, Chief Shakopee from the Mdewankanton Dakota tribe established his village. Shakopee was incorporated only in 1857. In our time, Shakopee gained fame after being mentioned in the movie Cars and by Lindsay Lohan on Saturday Night Live. Famous past or present residents of the city include martial artist Scott Ferrozzo, Project Runway contestant Christopher Straub and boxer Anthony Bosante.
Top Attractions within Shakopee
Valleyfair is an amusement park located in Shakopee on an area of 125 acres. This is the largest park in the area. It has more than 50 rides and 8 roller coasters. The most popular attraction of this Shakopee park is Wild Thing. Valleyfair also has within its limits a water park called Soak City. The park opened to public in 1976 and since then is opened since Memorial Day until Labor Day on a daily basis.
Canterbury Park is a horse racing track within the area of Shakopee. It includes 62 racing days through the year. The park opened in 1985. In the last years, Canterbury was also the host of a series of poker tournaments.
Shakopee Historic District is an important area of the city of Shakopee. It includes important historical artifacts of the earliest settlers. Inside the area of this attraction you can admire ruins, gristmills and a ferry landing. A guided tour will provide you with all the information you need to have on this important Shakopee attraction.
Dangerfield's is a restaurant with a classy atmosphere. It opened in Shakopee in 1991 and since then it is always in the top of the best eateries in the area. A popular custom of the restaurant is the Sunday Buffet Brunch.
Located in the southwestern part of the metropolitan area, Shakopee lies at a distance of 23 miles from Minneapolis. Shakopee was incorporated in 1857 and is a part of Scott County.
1. Enjoy a full day at Valleyfair Amusement Park: The Park started functioning in 1976 and covers an area of about 100 acres. The park features some very thrilling rides including a 207 foot long roller coaster named 'The Wild Thing,' which reaches a speed of about 78 mph and includes a 180 foot free fall. Some of the other attractions of the park are the IMAX Theater, water rides, live music shows and arcades.
2. Visit the Raceway Park: For the ultimate racing experience, tourists can visit the Raceway Park. Located about two miles from the Valleyfair Amusement park, the raceway features a quarter mile long race circuit. This is a place where tourists can watch roaring engines and high speed cars.
3. Spend some time at Canterbury Park: One of the most fascinating places of Shakopee is Canterbury Park. Loaded with facilities the park is the home of some of the best horses to hit the track from mid-May every year.
4. Murphy's landing: It is a historical museum located on about 88 acres. A collection of 40 buildings, the museum provides tourists with an in-depth understanding of the culture and the way of life of people in the 19th century.
5. Experience some golf at Stonebrooke Golf Club: Providing both beginners and professionals with an adequate challenge, the golf course features a 9-hole beginner's course and an 18-hole championship course.