Our new VroomVroomVroom App is now available on iOS and Android devices.
Be one of the first to download the App today!
Silver Spring Car Rental Comparison: Comparing the most affordable car rentals!
Silver Spring is a nice unincorporated census-designated place in the state of Maryland, United States, located more exactly in Montgomery County. It is situated north of Washington DC and has many good restaurants and entertainment complexes. It is also a major business center.
The history of Silver Spring goes back to 1840, when Francis Preston Blair discovered a spring flowing with chips of mica (group of minerals resembling crystals). So this is where Silver Spring got its name from. The culture of the city is a blend of American, African, Italian, Mexican, Lebanese and other types of ethnicities. Now, Silver Spring is highly developed, being an important commercial and economical hub of the area. With a total population of 71,452 residents according to the 2010 census, Silver Spring is now the fourth largest municipality in the state. Regardless if you find yourself here for personal or business purposes, Silver Spring will make sure you do not get bored.
The area is not to be confused with Silver Springs, which is a popular name for other American towns in Florida, Nebraska, Alaska and New York. However, the song "Silver Springs," composed by Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac was written while she was touring and passing through the town.
Top Attractions within Silver Spring
Sligo Creek is a beautiful recreational place in the core of the nature, a free-flowing tributary of the Anacostia River. The park is great to spend a relaxing afternoon, enjoying hiking, playing tennis, or bicycling. The park also offers playgrounds for children and picnic areas.
Northwest Park Golf Course is a nice golfing facility in Silver Spring, featuring a well maintained municipal 18-hole regulation golf course that will provide exciting and challenging experiences for players of all levels. Should you get hungry or thirsty, you could always get something at the snack bar.
8407 Kitchen Bar is a wonderful venue in Silver Spring, where you can spend the evening and enjoy a satisfying dinner. The menu is diverse and features all kind of specialties. The venue is really nice and the wide windows overlooking the street give it a great vibe. Make sure that you also try the refreshing local cocktails.
Mrs K's Toll House is another restaurant in Silver Spring, perfect if you are in the mood for a traditional American meal. The food is exquisite and the service is impeccable, so you have nothing to worry about.
Mandalay Restaurant & Cafe is the eating venue in Silver Spring which focuses on Burmese and Vegetarian cuisine. The restaurant is popular because the menu features a wide array of vegetarian dishes, unlike other restaurants of the kind.
5 Things You Must Do in Silver Spring
1. Visit the Rock Creek Park: The Park is a large urban area with sporting facilities and venues. It includes a tennis stadium, concert venue and cultural area. The park's rugged features provide enthusiasts with opportunities for hiking and rock climbing.
2. Explore Woodside Park: Woodside Park is a neighborhood in Silver Spring. Its main features are the roads which have been carved according to the curves of the topography. The style of the houses here reflects the trend of the 1920s.
3. Hiking at Sligo Creek Park: The Park is located along the Sligo Creek and has a wide range of recreational facilities including an impressive hiker-biker trail. The trails are more hazardous and challenging than most other parks as rocks have been spread along the sides of the road.
4. A peaceful walk through Brookside Gardens: These 50 acres of public gardens comprise of an Aquatic Garden, Azalea Garden, Rose Garden, Butterfly Garden and a Japanese style garden. There is also a horticultural reference library. Opening hours are: 9a.m. - 5p.m. for the visitors' center and 10am – 5pm for the conservatories. The gardens themselves are open from sunrise to sunset but are closed on Christmas and New Year's Day.
5. Visit White Oak: This community is home to various low-income families and also helps in serving the causes of the other under-privileged classes of society. The area was originally known for its Naval Ordnance Laboratory which closed in 1994.
Silver Spring,MarylandUnited States
Top depots in Silver Spring
Budget Silver Spring - 11259 New Hampshire Avenue, White Oak Sears Auto Center, Silver Spring, MD. 20904
Hertz Silver Spring - 8203 Georgia Ave, Silver Spring, MD. 20910
Enterprise Silver Spring-Darcars Bs - 12000 Tech Rd, Silver Spring, MD. 20904
Avis White Oak Shopping Ctr-Sears Auto Center - 11259 New Hampshire Ave, Silver Spring, MD. 20904
Budget Silver Spring - 619 Sligo Avenue, Silver Spring, MD. 20910
Enterprise Silver Spring - Auto Park - 3110A Automobile Blvd, Silver Spring, MD. 20904
Enterprise Silver Spring-Georgia Ave - 8208 Georgia Ave, Silver Spring, MD. 20910
Enterprise Silver Spring-Darcars - 12214 Cherry Hill Rd, Silver Spring, MD. 20904
Enterprise 162A 15 Pass Van Rentals - 8208 Georgia Ave, Silver Spring, MD. 20910
Enterprise Silver Spring Quattro 84 - 9151 Brookville Road, Silver Spring, MD. 20910
Avis Silver Spring - Sligo Ave - 619 Sligo Avenue, Silver Spring, MD. 20910
Other locations near Silver Spring