Sioux Falls is located on the banks of the Big Sioux River in South Dakota. It is South Dakota's largest city and is known as the “Gateway to the Plains.” Given its geography, Sioux Fall's residents love the great outdoors and there are more than 16 miles of walking and biking trails and many camping areas along the river banks. The city is an urban centre which is a major shopping hub and also attracts tourists who enjoy outdoor adventure. A replica of Michelangelo's “David” is located near the downtown area at Fawick Park.
1. Visit the Delbridge Museum of Natural History: The museum is a part of the Great Plains Zoo and is open seven days a week. It features a display of mounted animals collected from five continents and showcased in their (simulated) natural environment.
2. Enjoy an enriching experience at the Kirby Science Discovery Center: This popular Science centre features hands-on experiences and experiments such as flying in the space shuttle, touching a tornado or launching a hot air balloon. It also features the Magic Planet digital display which allows onlookers to observe planet Earth from an exciting perspective. Opening days and times vary depending on the season.
3. Learn about the exotic butterflies at the Sertoma Butterfly House: The Butterfly House at Sioux Falls houses around 800 freely flying butterflies in a natural habitat. It also features other tropical creatures including scorpions and tarantulas. The butterfly house is open seven days a week from 10.00am – 4.00pm (Fall Schedule) and half day on Sundays from 1.00pm – 4.00pm.
4. Have a thrilling experience at the Wild West Waterpark: This is the largest waterpark in South Dakota and features exciting water activities for kids and adults alike. The thrilling water rides include 2 speed slides, a tube slide. a body slide and the Lazy River ride which allows visitors to float gently downstream. The park opens from May until September but closes for 2 weeks in mid August.
5. Play Golf at the Prairie Green Golf Course: This par 72 18-hole golf course is one of the most popular golf courses in Sioux Falls. Opened in 1995 it was rated one of Golf Digest's Best New Affordable Golf Courses in 1996.