Compare Deals in Louisiana to Find a Cheap Car Rental in Slidell
Slidell is a beautiful city located on the shores of Lake Pontchartrain, in St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana, United States of America. Slidell is also called The Dell or The Camellia City. In present, Slidell has a population of approximately 27.000 residents and an area of 15.2 square miles. Slidell was settled in the 19th century by John William Gause and his younger brother, Wesley Coke Asbury Gause, together with other people. Other notable residents of Slidell include famous chef John Besh, Grammy winner Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, boxer Tony Conzoneri, politician Gerry E. Hinton and model Taryn Terrel.
Top Attractions within Slidell
The city of Slidell is a Louisiana city located on the northeast coast of Lake Pontchartrain. It is approximately 30 minutes away from the Gulf Coast's casinos and beaches and the city of New Orleans. Slidell's main attractions for visitors are its museums and parks.
Cajoun Encounters - Swamp, City and Plantation Tours cannot be missed if you are fascinated with the long history of Louisiana. In Slidell you have the opportunity to find out more and to take walks through historical places. Admire the beauty of the area and take advantage of the great guided tours of the city and its surroundings.
Live Oak Driving Range Golf Course is a 9-hole golf course located in Slidell. This course is appropriate for all players, no matter the skill level they have. That is why it would be great to try golf even if it would be your first time. The facility also includes mini golf areas and a restaurant where you can lunch or dine with the whole family while enjoying this great Slidell attraction.
Balli Gallery is an art gallery situated downtown Slidell. If you want to admire the works of the local artists and maybe to buy something, you should head to this Slidell attraction. The gallery also features some temporary exhibitions that are changed through the year.
Vera's Restaurant offers the best seafood in the area of Slidell. The beautiful eatery is great for a family outing. The establishment has a long history in Slidell and is very appreciated by the locals, especially for the delicious food it offers day by day.
5 Things You Must Do in Slidell
1. Slidell Museum: The museum is known for its displays and artifacts which record the local history of the city. A major section of the museum is dedicated to the exhibits from the 'War Between the States' with war memorabilia such as weapons, flags and portraits.
2. Jackson Barracks: This military museum is on Saint Claude Avenue and displays memorabilia from the main wars including the recent Gulf War. The museum features articles from the Louisiana National Guard Militia and the national military. It portrays how soldiers lived in the World Wars and includes a display of seven war planes.
3. Bogue Chitto National Wildlife Refuge: This wildlife refuge is the home of many endangered species of animals and birds. Visitors can see species like the gopher tortoise, bald eagle and the gulf sturgeon. The refuge also offers recreational activities such as canoeing, hiking and fishing.
4. Cemetery: The St. Louis cemetery is perhaps the most famous attraction in Slidell as it was featured in the movie Easy Rider. The voodoo queen of the region Marie Laveau is buried in this cemetery. The ritual of voodoo and its history can be discovered here.
5. Washington Square Park: The Park honors the 141st Artillery unit that fought for the nation in major battles. Cannons from the Civil War are on display at the park, and the Mississippi river flows close by giving visitors a scenic view of the park.